+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pros and cons of Steger Mukluks for winter biking

Dirt Boss - Lebanon Hills
    MORC Member Dirt Boss Gnome Club

Quote Originally Posted by rippinit View Post
    Seriously?...Maybe I'll go out and get plastic bars and a seat too so the cold doesn't get at my hands and butt. You need plastic pedals as much as a duck needs dry land. My 5 tens work just fine in the winter with the right smart wool socks. Before anyone else starts adding their 2 cents, maybe you should ask people who actually ride in the cold weather.
    Carbon bars and foamy grips would be the best thing short of hand warmers. Seats are already pretty much all plastic so...

Not everyone is lucky enough to have awesome circulation, especially us old guys. My toes were starting to get cold in my 5 tens with fat socks toward the end of today's ride as the temp got back to zero and I've definately noticed a difference with plastic pedals.
    There is no Leb Mafia... as far as you know.

Stump Jumper
    MORC Member Snowride Club

Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by DANW View Post
    Was your girl friend out of town last night?
    Want some salve for that burn?

Another thing, Griff: I looked on Steger Mukluks' site and they also have a reflective insulated footbed. That might do the trick for you.

Big Air
    Quote Originally Posted by rippinit View Post
    Seriously?...Maybe I'll go out and get plastic bars and a seat too so the cold doesn't get at my hands and butt. You need plastic pedals as much as a duck needs dry land. My 5 tens work just fine in the winter with the right smart wool socks. Before anyone else starts adding their 2 cents, maybe you should ask people who actually ride in the cold weather.
    Was your girl friend out of town last night?

Log Jumper
    MORC Member

Stump Jumper
    MORC Member Snowride Club

been riding with mukluks for 3 years

I've been wearing my mukluks for several seasons and have found no cons. I'm a huge fan, and it is very likely I won't own anything but Mukluks for the rest of my life.

The only problem I've had was early this season when the plastic pedals I had planned on using did not grip at all. When choosing pedals, be sure to get them with traction pins.

I have a set of Crank Brothers 5050s, set the traction pins really low, and they work like a charm without chewing up the sole at all. They are aluminum, I believe. I haven't noticed my muks losing heat. Are your liners shot? If your tootsies are getting cold, put on warmer socks. The difference between Steger Mukluks rated to -20 and those rated for colder is the amount of room in the boot for extra insulation.

Journeyman
    MORC Member
    Griff, I know this isn't a pedal suggestion thread (there have been a few lately), but thought I'd mention that I just picked up a set of these pedals (http://www.fyxation.com/collections/...platform-pedal) and have been using them for winter riding. They are really grippy nylon pedals that don't transfer any cold that I can tell. I've just been riding with pair of Keen hiking boots and it seems to work well.

MORC Board Member
    MORC Member Gnome Club
    Great to know about the resole kit, Colin... I had no idea Five Ten offered that.

Chance, no, the LBS here in Northfield doesn't sell the Deity pedals.

Forum Master
    MORC Member Dirt Boss
    Quote Originally Posted by agleck7 View Post
    I have those diety pedals and use them year round, even some DH. I wish they had a few more pins - I've noticed they have less grip than my Answer Rove pedals - but so far so good. I've been wearing tevas which are supposed to have less grip than 510s so I think these pedals with 510s would be perfect.
    I think it might be your shoes and probably some personal preference ... I run 2 long pins, 1 on oposite corner of the pedal on each side of the pedals (so 4 pins total) on my dirt jump bike with 5.10s freeriders and 4 long pins, one in each corner, on each side of my pedals for my mtb bike with 5.10 impacts and have more than enough grip but I personally like to be able to move my foot a little to re-position as needed with out having to completely take my foot off the pedal.

[edit] as griff mentioned 5.10's are not the greatest when it is cold so i'm sure having pins in the winter are more needed than in the summer, ice/snow probably dont help either....

Trail Rider
    MORC Member
    I have those diety pedals and use them year round, even some DH. I wish they had a few more pins - I've noticed they have less grip than my Answer Rove pedals - but so far so good. I've been wearing tevas which are supposed to have less grip than 510s so I think these pedals with 510s would be perfect.

Singlespeed
    MORC Member

I think I'm gonna have to make the switch to plastic pedals. Warmer in the winter. Lighter weight. Reasonably priced. Even worst case scenario, say you rip a pin on a rock and damage the threads, it seems easy enough to drill a hole 1/4" away and put in a new pedal stud.

Lots of pros. Not too many cons that I can think of. As long as you spend enough to get some with replaceable studs. But I suppose even the molded studs aren't too bad, all things considered. But I smash rocks in the summer sometimes so I'm going to stick with pedals with replaceable pins.

edit: getting off topic from the original idea, maybe. Oops. Let us know how those boots work out for you. I searched far and wide to find a decent winter boot. Other than the Lakes and Wolvhammers (?) that are tried and true. I didn't want to be clipped in and didn't want to spend that much. Eventually I found some mid-rise "North Face" boots. Incredibly light weight. Not bulky. And, unfortunately, not much good when the mercury dips below zero and I'm on a ride beyond 2 hrs. C'est la vie.
    Last edited by callmeAL; 12-27-2013 at 10:13 AM.

Bike Master
    You can also check these out: http://www.fyxation.com/collections/...platform-pedal

They are from our cheesehead friends!

Forum Master
    MORC Member Dirt Boss
    Quote Originally Posted by griffinjay View Post
    I just ran into the owner of one of the LBS here in Northfield who suggested plastic pedals to prevent the conduction of cold. Example, Deity Compound Pedals:

is said northfield bike shop a deity dealer? because as far as I am aware there isn't one in the metro... you can order direct but it would be cool if there was a local shop that would carry these products... I tried to get some through a local shop and said since they aren't a dealer they can't get them....

that said there are multiple different offerings of nylon pedals Stolen bikes offers some and i know you can get these
    http://www.stolenbmx.com/pedals

MORC Board Member
    MORC Member Gnome Club
    I just ran into the owner of one of the LBS here in Northfield who suggested plastic pedals to prevent the conduction of cold. Example, Deity Compound Pedals:

Singlespeed
    MORC Member

nice, those look comfy and warm!
    if you think you might have wear issues on the sole have you thought about slapping a 5.10 resole kit on the bottom?
    http://fiveten.com/products/accessories/resole
    may help with pedal insulation also, and arch support if cramping does become an issue (super soft soles do cause problems for me on long rides)
    so far my high top 5.10's are warm enough with double socks for around the backyard use, but if i had a fatty i would go for some winter boots resoled with the grippy rubber

MORC Board Member
    MORC Member Gnome Club

Pros and cons of Steger Mukluks for winter biking

I saw a post on the Steger Mukluks Facebook page about them being the latest thing for fat bike footwear. I don't have a fat bike but I've had a pair of the traditional tall Mukluks for 20 years so I'm interested in learning whether they're a better option for winter biking for me than my high top Five Tens which aren't great when it gets really cold or when the snow is deep. I've only done a little riding around Northfield in them, no mtb trails yet.

On Xmas Eve morning, it was -10 F and I rode downtown Northfield on the streets and sidewalks. My metal flat pedals conducted the cold right into my feet in about 10 minutes. On a second ride that afternoon, I stuck in my Superfeet insoles and that was a big improvement, though by then the temp had risen to +10 F. Drew Diller mentioned that the flexible sole on his Mukluks caused his feet to cramp after about two hours of riding so the jury is still out whether the stiff (partial plastic) Superfeet insoles mitigate that for me.

I did some trials type riding on some neighborhood rocks and was pleased that the grip was very good, with no visible ill effects of the pedal traction pins on the soles, which was a concern. (I was also glad that my bulky knee/shin pads fit inside the boots.) The soles have small ridges and seem to work well with the traction pins. Rudy O'Brien suggested using trials-type cage pedals because "they shed the snow better and don't get packed with ice."

I'll report back as I get more experience with them.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information