+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MTBing w/ Headphones in?

Dirt Boss - Lebanon Hills
    MORC Member Dirt Boss Gnome Club

Quote Originally Posted by gopherhockey View Post
    In the old days when the only two people riding Leb at night were Ryan L. and myself, I had to listen to music to drown out the animals that were chasing me around and the zombies that waited around every turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post

I get that feeling while night riding as well!
    Everyone knows there are only zombies at the river bottoms.
    There is no Leb Mafia... as far as you know.

Dirt Spanker
    MORC Member Gnome Club
    Quote Originally Posted by gopherhockey View Post
    I had to listen to music to drown out the animals that were chasing me around and the zombies that waited around every turn.

I get that feeling while night riding as well!
    Janni - pronounced "Yaw-nee" : )

MORC Lifetime Achievement Winner
    MORC Member Dirt Boss Gnome Club Snowride Club
    Quote Originally Posted by jjrsds View Post
    Still think that one is missing the point of being outside while using headphones. I ride to get away, have fun, crash, and enjoy being unplugged.
    I used to like listening to music all the time (still do on the road.. because road riding is so F#$)*ing boring...) but stopped off road. I think I was doing it to drown out the voices though... (no you weren't) yes I was! (no you weren't...) yes... aww crap.

In the old days when the only two people riding Leb at night were Ryan L. and myself, I had to listen to music to drown out the animals that were chasing me around and the zombies that waited around every turn.
    Leb on Facebook: www.facebook.com/lebanonhills
    MORC Webmaster / Lebanon Hills Trail Steward & Dirt Boss / Leb Mafia / iFanboy

Bike Guru
    MORC Member
    Still think that one is missing the point of being outside while using headphones. I ride to get away, have fun, crash, and enjoy being unplugged. My ideal experience may not agree with you, but make sure you say on your left when you pass me. At least sing loudly so I know to pull over.
    JJ

Forum Master
    MORC Member Dirt Boss
    Berry from duluth had some old school head phones the ones with the piece that goes over your head, he took that pice of and secured them to his helmet and it looked to work great

Log Jumper

I bought one of the cheap iHome usb-chargable 2" speakers to see if I liked it earlier this year (plus not be invested in something nice if I crashed).

Works awesomely well for $20. I only really use it on group rides with friends though.

MORC Lifetime Achievement Winner
    MORC Member Dirt Boss Gnome Club Snowride Club
    Diggin' up an old thread with a new product.

http://richardsolo.com/audioforhelmets.aspx

"RichardSolo FreeWheelin is the worlds most advanced stereo audio system worn on helmets by cyclists, skiers, skaters, construction workers, equestrians and more. I am really excited to introduce this very unique product that lets you listen to fantastic stereo or share crystal clear conversations on your cell phone totally hands-free via Bluetooth.

FreeWheelin does not cover your ears in any way so you remain fully aware of sounds while in traffic, on jobsites, or wherever you wear a helmet. It also functions as a high quality speakerphone in vehicles or on a desktop. Freedom to use your Bluetooth speakers on helmets, in the car, or in the office is really what Bluetooth freedom or FreeWheelin is all about. Try RichardSolo FreeWheelin and free those tunes tucked away on your portable device!" Richard
    Leb on Facebook: www.facebook.com/lebanonhills
    MORC Webmaster / Lebanon Hills Trail Steward & Dirt Boss / Leb Mafia / iFanboy

Singlespeed
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyB View Post
    iPod + Altec Lansing mini speaker + Camelbak = Perfect.

I ride all the time with a mini speaker in my camelback with no issues. You are aware of your surroundings and still get to enjoy some tunes.

http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-...588029&sr=8-18
    This is annoying. Not everyone wants to hear music on the trail.

I ride in NATURE to get away from the noise and chatter of everyday life and to clear my head. People who ride with music blaring from an annoying tinie speaker is disrepectful to other riders.

And while I'm at it, riding with earbuds during a race is just plain dumb and a HUGE safety issue for others around you. If you need headphones to stay motivated during a race or distract from the pain, then perhaps you need to work on your mental toughness. Racing hurts. That's just the way it is.

Forum Master
    MORC Member Dirt Boss
    Quote Originally Posted by lostboy View Post
    That is dope! i would get something like that!

Big Air

Trail Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyB View Post

I ride all the time with a mini speaker in my camelback with no issues. You are aware of your surroundings and still get to enjoy some tunes.

And thanks for the dope tunes at the Mammoth 70 miler.

And yes I do ride with headphones in only because I do a lot of solo riding, with a group I won't even wear one. I've tried without and it's ok but I love music so much. I do not get passed as much as I used to and I can usually tell when the faster riders are at the trail (sixth sense).

Bike Guru
    MORC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shopvak View Post
    I like to listen to earbuds when I race.... It drowns out the thoughts of... "why the hell do I love to do this?" When the going gets tough... I keep my volume really low and only have one in and I can always hear the music and also hear whats going on around me... I have never had any issues with people getting mad or getting hurt.
    If you're doing the MNMTB Series, just don't get caught by the officials w/ headphones on the ocurse. It's highly frowned upon by USA cycling (one or two) and can lead to a DQ. It's not only that it's a danger to others approaching but it's also a distraction to your senses, which is why I have ridden with them only twice, and never again.

Spiritual Vessel
    MORC Member
    I ride all the time blasting Bohemian Rhapsody on repeat - maximum treble, minimum bass - from a proper boombox.

Earbuds are for quitters.

Name:  boombox.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  10.4 KB
    Submit your grievances here.

Dirt Spanker
    MORC Member

Singlespeed

My brother bought one of those... anyway. I wear headphones while riding if I'm riding gravel back roads. Sometimes I come from the top and go down Holzinger only I'll leave them on because I never get passed going down usually. If I'm purely headed out to mountain bike I don't wear them, I'd rather interact with people and listen to myself struggle. Road riding by myself over here in Trempealeau county cars are so rare that I usually wear them, in any sort of a group situation I don't.
    Sometimes I wear just the headphones with no music as my ears get bothered by a cold wind blowing in the constantly.
    Bottom line for me is usually any time I might need to hear I either leave them home, let one dangle, or have them in with no music.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information