+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone been to Levis lately?

Forum Master
    MORC Member Dirt Boss
    Quote Originally Posted by ljf0106 View Post
    Anyone been there recently? How is it to ride? And how far is it from Twin Cities?
    not been there recently but it's great to ride lots of fun, i'm guessing super sandy due to dry conditions and its about 2.5hrs form the cities

Singlespeed
    MORC Member

Anyone been there recently? How is it to ride? And how far is it from Twin Cities?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by [idioteque] View Post
    I was actually hoping to get a trail condition update. The thread hadn't been updated since 09/06/11 ;-)

Thanks for that link, I think it will help me get to the information.

Just want to make sure that the trail will be open and rideable if we are going to drive for a few hours!

http://www.co.clark.wi.us/ClarkCount...ound/index.asp
    http://www.worba.org/nasti/conditions.html
    http://www.worba.org/nasti/conditions.html
    LevisMound@yahoogroups.com
    The old WORBA site has been changed to this:
    http://www.levismound.com/conditions.html

During the warm season I don't update it often unless something drastic happens weather wise-we're usually good to go, once the frost is out.

The most recent comments and happening are here:
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Le...l/236715826232

The Yahoo group is also used, so we try to hit all those sites with anything new.
    Cheers,
    Steve

Beginner Trail

Quote Originally Posted by jreinan01 View Post
    Anyone have any idea how levis will be tomorrow ??
    Im out here right now laying in my tent. Conditions all weekend have been great. Little cold but just start climbing and you'll warm up. You'll encounter the typical low lying wet spots. Hope this response is soon enough for you to be useful. Forecast for today is looking good. Oh and watch out for a downed tree on Switchback. It may look like you can duck and limbo through it... But not quite for me. Ooops. Still feeling that one.

Singlespeed
    MORC Member
    Anyone have any idea how levis will be tomorrow ??

Crazed Zealot
    MORC Member Dirt Boss
    Quote Originally Posted by berrywise View Post
    Photos from this past weekend.
    It's always a treat to look at your photos Scott. Thanks for sharing. Looks like a great trip was had.

Dirt Boss - Lebanon Hills
    MORC Member Dirt Boss Gnome Club

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    "Flow" is an ambiguous term. Any good trail needs to be laid out well, regarding slope, proper transitions of speed, avoiding abrupt obstacles in fast areas, etc.

I was talking about what IMBA describes as "Flow Trails", where a trail is built for "rythm and tempo". Jumps laid out perfectly so that you get some air and then gently land on the down side. Berms on most of the turns. Wide/smooth trail that can easily be rolled by a beginner, but let a good rider catch some air. You barely need to touch your brakes. Just pump your handlebars and go. They are a lot of fun. But I get bored with them after while.
    I'd say flow is abstract and hard to pin down. I think the IMBA description you bring up has, probably unintentionally, started to turn flow into a thing more than a feeling.
    Just because a trail is built properly, doesn't make it great. Just because it's elements fit together doesn't mean it has *good* flow. I'd say the *rhythm and tempo* part is the hardest to achieve and fit to a wide X-section of riders.
    There is no Leb Mafia... as far as you know.

MORC Member Dirt Boss Snowride Club
    "Flow" is an ambiguous term. Any good trail needs to be laid out well, regarding slope, proper transitions of speed, avoiding abrupt obstacles in fast areas, etc.

I was talking about what IMBA describes as "Flow Trails", where a trail is built for "rythm and tempo". Jumps laid out perfectly so that you get some air and then gently land on the down side. Berms on most of the turns. Wide/smooth trail that can easily be rolled by a beginner, but let a good rider catch some air. You barely need to touch your brakes. Just pump your handlebars and go. They are a lot of fun. But I get bored with them after while.
    Leb borgata capodecina

Singlespeed
    MORC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dave t View Post

I also feel that just building a bunch of humps and curves in a trail doesn't equal flow.
    TRUTH!

HPT in LaCrosse is up on my list too just because it's pretty raw, even though it's a short 8 mile loop it has enough climbing to make it a great ride. Holzinger is pretty sweet too for a shorter trail. Both slightly rugged with the feeling that there's the right balance of manual and natural maintenance.
    Giv'r

Crazed Zealot
    All this Levis talk has me thinking I need to go out there again. I do enjoy the trail system at Levis. Been a couple of years.

MORC Member Dirt Boss Gnome Club

I'm a Levis fan too. I like the trails that work with the terrain given but a trail, as a whole, still has to have flow and Levis is a good ride in my book. To me, Cuyuna has some huge potential for technical lines and edge-of-your-seat sections but it's also never going to be the same as Levis. It's just different terrain. I think I like the two nearly the same but for different reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    I like riding them all, but have a special love for the "natural looking" trails where you need to pick your way through the woods, over/around rocks, roots, logs, etc. Levis, CAMBA, 9-mile, etc. The kind of trail that makes you feel like you need react to the trail, rather than having the trail laid out specifically for the way a bike will behave.
    IMO, you can have both but it takes a ton more hand work and a very strong feel for the right line to carve the minimal bench and get it right.... unless you are saying (and I don't think you are) you like a trail that just doesn't feel right or have a good rhythm thus keeping you constantly off guard.

I also feel that just building a bunch of humps and curves in a trail doesn't equal flow.
    There is no Leb Mafia... as far as you know.

Quote Originally Posted by dschiltz View Post
    As of now, it's too manicured for me and seems more like a roadie trail.
    Interesting term "roadie trail", but I understand and can also agree to some extent. I like riding them all, but have a special love for the "natural looking" trails where you need to pick your way through the woods, over/around rocks, roots, logs, etc. Levis, CAMBA, 9-mile, etc. The kind of trail that makes you feel like you need react to the trail, rather than having the trail laid out specifically for the way a bike will behave.

Again, I'm not dissing the faster swoopy jumpy flow-type trails that are recently becoming popular. But I can certainly see where some people would prefer a place like Levis.
    Leb borgata capodecina

Crazed Zealot
    Quote Originally Posted by dschiltz View Post
    I knew that comment would get some sort of retort, yeah I think once Mother Nature has time to work her magic at Cuyuna a bit and they add some unavoidable (ie: no B-lines, like some sections at Levis on Corkscrew, Sidewinder & Toad Road) features Cuyuna will move up in my book. As of now, it's too manicured for me and seems more like a roadie trail.

We are incredibly fortunate to have these amazing trails all so close, don't mean to come off like I'm hatin'. I love both trails, Levis is just in my wheelhouse for a trail I guess.

Now imagine once the new Duluth trail system opens, pretty sure we;ll be in heaven!!
    All unavoidable lines made by Mother Nature will be fixed as they form. There is so much vertical at Cuyuna that if we let Mother Nature start her work, the whole trail would be gone in a short time. Water is nasty to trails. There are certain sections that would be unrideable in a short time if the water was washing away the topsoil. About 6-8 miles of trail up there is comprised of 6 inches of proper topsoil put over sandy sections of the hill. If Mother Nature took out this top layer, there would be nothing but unrideable sugar sand on 25-30% of the trail up there. Also, Cuyuna is designed for speed and if there were unmaintained washouts developing, it would be way too dangerous to ride with the speeds people hit. Cuyuna will be an interesting trail to watch from a future maintenance standpoint. It was designed and over built for water shedding, but every trail has it's issues. I'll be curious to watch it.

Singlespeed
    MORC Member
    I knew that comment would get some sort of retort, yeah I think once Mother Nature has time to work her magic at Cuyuna a bit and they add some unavoidable (ie: no B-lines, like some sections at Levis on Corkscrew, Sidewinder & Toad Road) features Cuyuna will move up in my book. As of now, it's too manicured for me and seems more like a roadie trail.

We are incredibly fortunate to have these amazing trails all so close, don't mean to come off like I'm hatin'. I love both trails, Levis is just in my wheelhouse for a trail I guess.

Now imagine once the new Duluth trail system opens, pretty sure we;ll be in heaven!!
    Giv'r

Forum Master
    MORC Member Dirt Boss
    Quote Originally Posted by ryno lite View Post
    I think it all comes down to personal preference. Like Ish said, we are all lucky to have different choices like Cuyuna, CAMBA, and Levis close by. I enjoy them all, however, in my opinion, Cuyuna is by far the best. I guess Cuyuna just suits me. I also go to CAMBA a lot and just don't get to Levis as much anymore. For my drive time, I'll take Cuyuna.
    If and or when Cuyuna adds some more technical aspect to the trails it will take the cake hands down as for now its a toss up really! I like the raw feeling of levis but the speed and flow of cuyuna is awesome too! Like ryan said it comes down to your preference! I like them both!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information