+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tire Recommendations

Singlespeed
    MORC Member
    You'll drop a net 140 grams per 29" wheel going tubless. -200 per innertube +60 for 2 oz of sealant. You will also see fewer flats and realize better traction through lower tire pressure. You want just enough pressure so you are not bottoming out with your normal riding style.

Big Air
    MORC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Standard View Post
    Going tubeless will generally save somewhere around 200 grams. YMMV.
    Is that per tire? I did the conversion and it comes out to about a half pound. If that's per tire, I'm for sure doing that soon.

Trail Rider
    MORC Member
    Going tubeless will generally save somewhere around 200 grams. YMMV.

And just to buck the trend of over sized knobby tires, I've been extremely happy with the 1.95" Renegades that came on my Epic 29'r. Super fast but still a surprising amount of grip. Mainly been at Elm Creek with them but was also up at Cuyuna this past weekend and they didn't disappoint. Not necessarily a tire I would recommend to a beginner, though. I ran Captains on my 26'r for years and was always happy with how they performed.
    on a scale of 1 to awesome, I'm super great

Big Air
    MORC Member
    I am also running a new set of Maxxis Ardent 2.6" on my bike and so far have been very impressed with the traction...but the DH version I got is definitely heavier than the WTB Motoraptors 2.4" that they replaced.

I am seriously considering trying to run them tubeless to see if there is any weight savings.

Bike Guru
    MORC Member
    I've been running a Maxxis Ardent in 29x2.4 tubeless for the last year and love them. I know I read a post on another forum last year where the OP was having trouble, adn it turned out he was running 40-45psi as opposed to me running 24-27 psi. Larger volume tires like that can be run at lower pressures, couple that with Tubeless and it changes the way almost any other similar tire handles.

Trail Rider
    MORC Member Dirt Boss
    Tioga Super Genius.

Got them because the got good reviews and they were half the cost of a lot of 29er tires (they come in 26" too). They have been superb at Cuyuna. Great grip and seem to holding up well. The only "negative" about is that they are not the lightest tire.

For a "budget" tire ($40 on Price Point) they have been great.
    I cry because others are stupid and it makes me sad.

Stump Jumper
    MORC Member
    Oh, also have run Conti Race King 2.2 for two seasons, which is also a small-block tread pattern. Much better grip than the Mountain Kings on our hardpack. Very lightweight option, but threads are now showing through on the sidewalls. That's probably ok for 800 singeltrack miles though

Stump Jumper
    MORC Member
    Are we talking 26"? I just replaced my Smallblocks with Bontrager XR1 2.4 and was very impressed with how much more traction I felt the last couple times out (Battle Creek, Theo, Elm Creek). Too early to speak to durability though...

Bike Guru
    MORC Member Gnome Club Snowride Club
    Maxxis Ignitors in the 120tpi version or Conti Race Kings, both in 2.2. Both have good longevity, light weight, and fast.

Beginner Trail

Quote Originally Posted by reim0039 View Post
    I ran a Kenda Slant Six on front and a Kenda Small Block 8 on the rear for an entire season and really liked it. Good for the trail or the pavement getting to the trail.
    I've heard a few people running this combo and really liking it. I don't ever ride on pavement, so I'm not too concerned about that. Basically just looking to stay as fast as I can on the downhills while not losing too much grip in the corners.

MORC Board Member
    MORC Member

I ran a Kenda Slant Six on front and a Kenda Small Block 8 on the rear for an entire season and really liked it. Good for the trail or the pavement getting to the trail. I had a set of Maxxis but there was a dead spot between the center lugs and side lugs that made cornering sketchy.

Forum Master
    MORC Member Gnome Club Snowride Club
    Quote Originally Posted by bmaz View Post
    I'm looking for a new set this year and have heard good things about Maxxis. Any recommendations?
    I had Ardents and actually switched back to the nobby nic on the front. I didn't think the ardent provided as good and as predictable of traction in the corners as the nobby nic. It's hard to get great traction in the loose over hardpack we have around here when things really dry up like last summer.
    650B has arrived!

Bike Guru
    MORC Member
    I just got a set of Specialized's new Ground Control tires. I only have two rides in on them so far but they performed flawlessly. I was at Salem in very dry conditions, then the Minnesota River trail in tacky conditions. They roll fast yet grip very well. I had no issues losing traction at all. The only thing I don't care for is they are a bit "skinny" for their designated size. The 2.3 I have in front isn't much wider than the 2.1 Nevegal it replaced, but looking at it from the side it is much "taller". The 2.1 rear tire looks more like a 1.9. I decided to try Tubeless for the first time when I got these (rims were already tubeless ready). The bead easily set with just a floor pump.

I will be hitting Cuyuna this weekend. That will be the big durability test.

Beginner Trail

Tire Recommendations

I bought a set of Schwalbe Nobby Nics last year and rode them all season. The were good tires, but wore down VERY quickly. Pretty good grip in the corners, but a little slippery on the hard dry stuff. I usually ride Leb. I like riding hard and fast and I take full advantage of the downhills there. I'm looking for a new set this year and have heard good things about Maxxis. Any recommendations?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information