+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hills-Minneapolis area

Dirt Boss - Lebanon Hills
    MORC Member Dirt Boss Gnome Club

That's going to be a north facing slope. Is it kept plowed or would it still be snow and ice?
    There is no Leb Mafia... as far as you know.

Chainring Keeper
    MORC Member Dirt Boss Bike Patrol Snowride Club
    Ahhh, the good old Lillydale Lungbuster, used to be gravel and singletrack, but even now it is still a beast.
    James Ford
    "KleinCrazy"

Singlespeed
    MORC Member

Old thread, I know. Good suggestions though! I've been doing interval "hill" rides in the Mt Curve/Kenwood area, St Anthony Parkway, and East/West River Parkways by the U. Planning on the Edina and St Paul routes too. Finding that an older Pug is a beast on hills but I can really feel the workout in my legs. Hoping that my first year of winter/fatbike riding and recent road/hill riding will set me up better for some upcoming races and trail riding. Anymore ideas for hills in the surrounding metro area?

Forum Master
    MORC Member Dirt Boss
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas O View Post
    http://www.morcmtb.org/photopost/sho...epeats&cat=500

Here is the hill that I was talking about. I think the best way to go is to park at the bottom and ride in. Its about 1/4 mile at the most to the hill. If you look on the left as you ride in you can't miss it. There are a few switch backs along the way and when you get to the top you will see a board with the map to the area and a bench. This site is an old brick manufacturing site and you will see some of the remnants scattered along the trail. You can also park at the top along the road. If you park just after leaving hwy 13 the trail is on the left. It is not super obvious but doesn't take too much looking to find it. There you go.....Make a goal of 10 repeats in one session and do it twice a week. You will build a huge engine for climbing hills in no time. Good luck!
    The old brick yard is off the road going to harriet island, you excite off hwy 35e north, on to 13 head east and take your first right onto Lilydale road and just follow that down about mile or so and on your right you will see an off shoot that you can park at and there is a gravel road and you can follow that for about 1/4 mile back the other direction and it will swing around to the bottom of the hill on the left side and that's where it starts. It's sweet, it's an old repack road but its a bit rutted out in spots. Its fun to fly down and you definately will get a burn if you do thomas o says and do 10 laps! thats mosterous! haha Have fun the park at the top is cherokee park and you come out on cherokee heights blvd

Singlespeed
    MORC Member

http://www.morcmtb.org/photopost/sho...epeats&cat=500

Here is the hill that I was talking about. I think the best way to go is to park at the bottom and ride in. Its about 1/4 mile at the most to the hill. If you look on the left as you ride in you can't miss it. There are a few switch backs along the way and when you get to the top you will see a board with the map to the area and a bench. This site is an old brick manufacturing site and you will see some of the remnants scattered along the trail. You can also park at the top along the road. If you park just after leaving hwy 13 the trail is on the left. It is not super obvious but doesn't take too much looking to find it. There you go.....Make a goal of 10 repeats in one session and do it twice a week. You will build a huge engine for climbing hills in no time. Good luck!

Singlespeed
    MORC Member

There is a great training hill over in st Paul. It's a little less than a half mile with 300' of elevation gain. It is a trail and will help with climbing and descending skills. Let me know if you are interested and I will get you sme directions

Log Jumper

Washburn Water Tower

There is a cool quick steep uphill circuit from Minnehaha Creek to the Washburn Watertower. You can do it as a loop and it has a fun downhill.

Chainring Keeper
    MORC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by agleck7 View Post
    1200" in 30 miles seems excellent for MSP...gonna have to take note of this one
    There are also options to the east and south of that route. I will try to find a map of the 'Hill' ride we used to do in the area. You can extend it across the river to the bluffs near Battle Creek park also.
    There's nothing natural about an off-road bike trail.

Singlespeed
    MORC Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stonehenge View Post
    use a heavy bike for training rides
    ride bid knobbies on pavement instead of smothies
    ride the grass next to the street
    all the hills are much more work if you pull a loaded trailer !

Hmmmmmm

So forget the 10# bike,the tight bike clothes, the air streamed helmet etc, and drag a small parachute...got it - it is training after all

Dirt Spanker

use a heavy bike for training rides
    ride bid knobbies on pavement instead of smothies
    ride the grass next to the street
    all the hills are much more work if you pull a loaded trailer !

Hmmmmmm

Trail Rider
    MORC Member
    1200" in 30 miles seems excellent for MSP...gonna have to take note of this one

Trail Rider
    MORC Member
    In South Minneapolis, I found a climb that is better than the 50th street/35W hill. If you go back into the neighborhood south of 50th from Washburn HS and Ramsey, there is a decent climb (relative of course) for intervals from the creek up to the water tower. It's probably a gain of 100' and then you can add the grass up to the water tower that has about 30' of a few different serious grades and difficult traction on the grass. Then you can hit the skinny next to the stairs all the way down.

This is what I did when I only had a little bit of time and I was trying to get in some sort of climbing before going on a trip out west.

Granny Gear

Like Susannah mentioned, there are some good short hills between Lake of the Isles and the Walker Art Center, Kenilworth neighborhood.

Nothing is long, but some really good options for an interval workout. Total elevation gain is probably between 75 an 150 feet, but if you do it over and over really fast its kind of like being in the mountains... except with fancy homes and no actual views of mountains.

Chainring Keeper

Terrace Oaks Trail Steward
    MORC Member Dirt Boss
    Gear Daddy has great suggestions.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information