+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Road bike for $2000

Bike Guru
    MORC Member
    Just thought i'd mention I built up a Singular Peregrine with the help of Marty Larson @ Prairie Peddaler and Jack @ Random Bikes that I am just in love with. I haven't had a ton of time to get out on it, but I love the way it rides and handles... road bikes definitely handle differently on highspeed downhill sections than my nice "relaxed" mountain bike!

Granny Gear
    MORC Member

Fast!

Went for my first road ride on the new FOCUS IZALCO 3.0 last weekend- Wow!!! These road bikes are wicked FAST! If there are any MTBers out there who think road biking is boring (as I once did) think again its a rush!

DanW- Sorry I have not gotten around to positng a picture this winter. Here is a link to my ride... I love it by the way and carbonconnection.com has excellent service and prices if anyone is interested!
    http://www.carbonconnectionusa.com/b...lete-bike.html

Big Air
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    I ended up buying the FOCUS IZALCO PRO 3.0 ULTEGRA 2011. For a bike that retails over $4,000 and a price just under $2,500 from carbon connection I felt I couldn't go wrong. Plus I did not have to pay for shipping.

The only down fall was not buying from the local shop and of course now I'll have to wait until Spring to ride.

Thanks again for everyones help narrowing my search!
    Nice! Pics???

Granny Gear
    MORC Member
    I ended up buying the FOCUS IZALCO PRO 3.0 ULTEGRA 2011. For a bike that retails over $4,000 and a price just under $2,500 from carbon connection I felt I couldn't go wrong. Plus I did not have to pay for shipping.

The only down fall was not buying from the local shop and of course now I'll have to wait until Spring to ride.

Thanks again for everyones help narrowing my search!

Sage
    Snowride Club
    my Giant OCR or a similar bike (roubaix maybe) is far more comfortable geometry wise than anyones true CX bike.

There are tons of CX-like bikes though that would fit your needs and be comfortable! Just make sure you aren't buying a real cx bike if that's what you want.

Granny Gear

If you're not planning on racing, don't rule out a CX bike. With 23 or 25mm tires they roll almost as fast as a road bike, with a bit more relaxed (comfortable) geometry, which is well suited to someone new to the road. Plus, in the fall you can throw knobbies on and do some cross racing.

Stump Jumper
    MORC Member
    Take a look at Scott Speedsters - I bought a S10 a few months ago with an aluminum frame and full Ultegra for $1600ish dollars from a local bike shop (Alexandria) - and I'm lovin it so far.

Sage
    Snowride Club
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Also I HIGHLY RECOMMEND BUYING LOCAL! Supporting your local shop can have HUGE benefits in the long run! FREE service, quicker turn around on repairs, and the such. Also those local shops turn the profit they get from bike sales back into YOUR community in ONE WAY OR ANOTHER! So you just may see those dollars you spend there back in your own pocket!

Some shops can often special order from other companies, btw!

I'm highly in favor of supporting local shops. However, not the ones that aren't helpful/fair to people who bring bikes they built themselves (or bought elsewhere in). It's bad business not to treat everyone fairly.

Free service on bikes purchased at the shop, developing relationships with people who know more than you, finding people to ride with and supporting the community are all good reasons to buy local.

Granny Gear
    MORC Member
    Thank you so much to all those that responded to the thread! Your input has helped me narrow my search. I want to buy local! I love my home shop, the owner Dave at Itasca Trail and Sport is very helpfull and I'm in there all the time.

I am considering the FOCUS IZALCO PRO 3.0 ULTEGRA 2011 $2500 or the 2011 4.7 Madone $2000. I was considering the 2012 Madone 3.1 $1800 but decided the 2011 is the best way to go despite the loss of the OCLV (available in the 2012s) and the settlment for TCT Carbon. Its my understanding that Trek's OCLV Carbon manufacturing has gone worldwide (which is why its available in the lower end models like the 3 series). Therefore its probable that TCT and OCLV is being manufactured in the same building outside of USA anyway. Plus I'm thinking at this price range there can't be that much of a noticible difference in the two. If someone thinks or knows different feel free to say so...

Thanks Peter for those two links. The Giant Defy Composite 1 $2400 is a great option. for another $400 Ultegra is included. A series upgrade form 105 shimano in the 2011 Madone 4.7.

Thank you everyone!
    Last edited by Griffin; 11-04-2011 at 09:02 PM.

Stump Jumper

Also I HIGHLY RECOMMEND BUYING LOCAL! Supporting your local shop can have HUGE benefits in the long run! FREE service, quicker turn around on repairs, and the such. Also those local shops turn the profit they get from bike sales back into YOUR community in ONE WAY OR ANOTHER! So you just may see those dollars you spend there back in your own pocket!

Some shops can often special order from other companies, btw!

Stump Jumper

Here are a couple more options that you may want to take a look @.

Which bike you go with is totally determined by where you plan to ride it and how!

Both of these bikes are what are considered Performance Endurance bikes. In other words they move when you want them to move, but yet are still comfortable to ride.

IF you think you may do a bit more exploring, go with one of the Salsa's.

Warning Due take a close look @ ALL the parts and components of all bikes and determine what parts and components are the most important. Every bike company builds there bikes differently based on what they feel is important. You will notice different drivetrain, brake components and wheels.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/....1/9013/48850/

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...01&scname=Road

Ask away if you have anymore ?s

Spiritual Vessel
    MORC Member
    If you're based in Grand Rapids, maybe check out a major dealer in Duluth (Ski Hut?) unless you're a build vs. buy guy.

What are your roads like up there? $2k is a healthy budget...you may be able to squeeze in an Ultegra or comparable SRAM level drivetrain. Probably aluminum plus carbon stays/fork. If you've got a little wiggle room on the high side you may find a full carbon bike or a full carbon bike with lesser components/wheels.

Best of luck.
    Submit your grievances here.

Trail Rider
    I'd look into a Trek, right now they have some really good deals on 2011 Demos...

http://trekstoremadison.com/about/de...2011-pg535.htm

Big Air
    If I had around $2000 to spend on a roadbike, I'd get a new Kestrel RT1000 from Broadway Cycle in Monticello, MN.

Trail Rider
    MORC Member
    The bike I was closest to buying was a 2010 Fuji/Toyota team bike, like new on eBay for around $3,500. Of course, I already know what my ideal geometry is from professional advice and expensive, painful experience.

The $2,000-$3,300 range is a no-man's land without a full Ultegra or Force component group to be found, and wheels are generally third-tier. Unbelievable, in my view, for that amount of money.

That said, there's no harm in supporting your local shop. It can't be easy these days to run a bike shop, and if they are working hard for you, it's something to consider. At the shop I go to, the owner is right there, all the time. He lets people take long test rides, listens to their feedback, adjusts the fit, and lets them test ride again until the fit is perfect, even if it takes a few weeks. Obviously, not every shop is like that, but it's the one thing that would make me buy a bike there, even though I am an expert used bike buyer and mechanic and could get one cheaper on eBay/Craigslist. I am also a regular on weekly shop training rides. That has been a very valuable service for me, since it puts me in a pack with CAT4 and CAT3 racers and pushes me hard. I want my local shop to stay in business.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information