+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mountain Biking at Maplelag Resort

Stump Jumper
    How are the ticks?

Granny Gear
    A few of us went to Maplelag on Saturday, the trails were damp and tacky and good riding. :-)

Stump Jumper

Trails Open!

It has been a great spring and summer of riding at Maplelag. Most of the heavy rains have avoided us and there has been no trail damage. The trails are open and current surface conditions are tacky/damp. So far the deer flies are keeping at bay thanks to the unusually cool weather around here this month. We built about a half mile of new singletrack which includes a fly over bridge. The trail is completed and open for riding and we should finish the bridge by early next week.

Stump Jumper

The trails are in great shape. We had over half inch of rain on Saturday morning and early afternoon but by late Saturday, the twin lakes singletrack was rideable. Not muddy, just a few greasy spots. Sunday a good number of people were riding which was great to help buff out the track. Dry and almost hot temps have baked the track and riding is hard and fast! Bike trail reports with photos are posted on the Maplelag website 3-4 times a week. Enjoy!

Stump Jumper

The recent rain has made for a nice tacky and grippy track. The trail is open. All the singletrack has been blown out and trees cut that were across the trail. If it rains, the trails generally need 12 hours to dry out but sometimes less depending on dew point, humidity and wind which can shorten the dry time. Enjoy!

Stump Jumper

The entire mountain bike course at Maplelag Resort is open. A few sticks etc. coming down from yesterday's wind but overall the riding is great for early season. The light rains and dusting of snow this morning has the trail surface in tacky condition. There are limited services at this time but there is no charge to ride until May.

Stump Jumper

Twin Lakes Singletrack Open

The twin lakes singletrack portion of the Laddies Loppet course is open for riding. There was 1-2 feet of snow covering the trail this winter, preventing frost from going down and with no traffic on the trail during the winter to compress and shoot frost farther down in the ground, the trail has dried up amazingly fast. There might be a few greasy spots but riding with the fat bike yesterday, the loop was 97% rideable. The ski trails are still closed as there are still patches of snow and frost farther down from grooming compaction but should open within a week or so as well as the remaining singletrack. Also, we will be doing a Spring Opener mountain bike race on May 26th. More details to come.

Granny Gear
    MORC Member

Thumbs up Such an Amazing Experience!

Rode Maplelag three times while on vacation near Detroit Lakes, MN. Maplelag is about 20 minutes north of DL and worth every second. The trails are very fun and challenging. If you can find Jay or Jake before you ride to show you the connection points near the south end of the trail where it opens up near the buildings it will be helpful to you. Most of the trail is very well marked though! I'm impressed resorts like Maplelag exist within our great state. Thank you so much for all your hard work on those trails Jay, Jake and other that have contributed to these great trails.
    Looking forward to cross country skiing at Maplelag this winter and retruning next summer to Maplelag!

Granny Gear
    MORC Member
    I'll be in Detroit lakes between 8/19-8/28 on summer vacation. Will be staying with Girlfriends family on Lake Lizzy. Looking forward to getting away for a little bit to ride your trail! Can I pay for the pass when I get there? Anyone interested in riding? I'm an intermediate to advanced rider. I'm very excited to ride your trails after reading up on them and looking at some of your pictures.
    Thanks!

Stump Jumper
    MORC Member

Here is the Singletrack Trail Map. (the other link was the XC Ski trail Map)

http://www.maplelag.com/posts/reports/biketrail/3251

Trail Rider
    That's what I was afraid of
    I'm still planning to ride it some time in the next week, so I hope they get better by then (but they probably won't)

Singlespeed
    MORC Member
    I was there over the 4th and they were AWFUL....keep moving :-)

Trail Rider
    Anyone know how bad the horseflies are in this area right now?

Trail Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Pain Cave Spelunker View Post
    I found this on there website.

http://www.maplelag.com/trails/trail-map
    Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks

Bike Guru
    MORC Member Gnome Club Snowride Club
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpman View Post
    I'll be in the area from 7/27 through 8/3 and would like to give the Maplelag loops a go.

Any topographic info available?

I found this on there website.

http://www.maplelag.com/trails/trail-map

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information