+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cuyuna Lakes Mountain Bike Festival, June 11 and 12

Singlespeed

Great ride regardless.

For the record: the race was incredible for the trail, camaraderie, and fun of it all. It's expected that a first-ever race would have some bugs to work out.

There are no regrets. Thanks for the great weekend!

Forum Master
    MORC Member Dirt Boss Gnome Club

Quote Originally Posted by Ish View Post
    Hellz yes! Just make sure to order the St.Louis ribs or Joyce will berate you until you relent. She knows her ribs!
    And think twice before you order the full rack.
    There is no Leb Mafia... as far as you know.

Forum Master
    MORC Member Gnome Club Snowride Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutmeg View Post
    Hellz yes! Just make sure to order the St.Louis ribs or Joyce will berate you until you relent. She knows her ribs!
    650B has arrived!

Beginner Trail
    MORC Member

How you ended up 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by randalak View Post
    I finished the event in first place so how can I be in third. My Garmin GPS stated I finished the course in 33 mins and 19 secs. The timing says 1 hr and 15 min and I am 3 min and 59 secs back and the guy in second is 4 min back in 2nd, WTF. All of the short course racers started at the the same time. So either the time is screwed up or some racers cut the course. I understand this was the first race for this area but come on. When I left the event I was somehow in second and now I am in third?
    When the race waves were being called out, no one indicated the short and long races had different starts. So me and the 2nd place finisher, both started with the sport class since that's where we would normally start. We found out after the race that there was a short race start separate from the long wave starts. In the end, the race was chip timed by individual so the numbers are still accurate. There's no conspiracy at work here, no one cut the course, and the times were the time of day, not converted back to total race time.
    Last edited by j-a-m-e-s; 06-15-2011 at 09:18 AM.

Big Air
    MORC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by soupboy View Post
    Cliff Notes:

- Sean
    You forgot Louie's
    http://www.minnesotamonthly.com/medi...=3&siarticle=2
    As long as you beat the guy in jean shorts . . .

Granny Gear

XC Single Lap Route

In the event you'd like to see how you compare to the first place dude at for the Kryptonite Crusher Cross Country one lap race, with a time of 31:53, here's the route using the DNR's map, inset B:
    1. From the boat launch, head up the road and turn left, climbing the hill toward the Overlook
    2. Left on Easy Street
    3. Follow Easy Street all the way to #6 and follow Mucker Mountain (yellow) all the way to #10, where you go right and pick up Mucker Mountain (green) to #14
    4. Continue straight at #14 and follow the trail back to Easy Street.
    5. Go left on Overburden Road to #6, where you pick up Little Sidewinder
    4. Follow Little Sidewinder all the way to #18, where you pick up Sand Hog Mountain
    5. Follow Sand Hog Mountain (great climb and swoopy descent) down to #20, where you pick up Sidewinder to the right
    6. Follow Sidewinder past #26, #27, #38, #46, to #47, where you continue heading East on Crusher
    7. Follow Crusher to #49, where you go left on Easy Street to H, which is Miner's Mountain Road.
    8. Take a hard right, ducking your right shoulder to miss the Stop sign, and sprint your butt off down the road back to the boat launch
    8. You've just completed the Kryptonite Crusher Cross Country one lap race course

Granny Gear

Great Trails, Good Brews, and History?

The very first manned space flight took place from one of the Cuyuna mine lakes in 1957. A scientist was welded into an aluminum capsule and trucked from Chicago to Cuyuna, where I believe it was the Portsmouth Mine at the time was about 500 ft. deep. The balloon carrying the capsule needed the 500 ft. of clean air to reach the proper height before the prevailing winds would carry it away. The flight lasted 36 hours and reached a height of 101,000 ft! In 2007, the locals celebrated the 50th anniversary of the flight, which was written up in Life magazine. Just think - space flight in the U.S. started at Cuyuna in 1957 - one of the trails is called ManHigh in honor of the flight. Next time you're in Cuyuna, stop at the DNR headquarters in Ironton and talk to Steve Weber, the manager. He'll tell you all about it.

Spiritual Vessel
    MORC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greendog View Post
    Barstock Liquor Store in Crosby had a good selection of micro brews, and even had a pick a pack selection. The owner was really friendly.
    Thanks Charles. Good to know. We intentionally arrived empty handed to see what the locals offered.

Baby steps!
    Submit your grievances here.

Trail Rider
    MORC Member Dirt Boss Bike Patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by soupboy View Post
    Cliff Notes:
    • Local economy in need of a shot in the arm. Nearest bar to the "main" trailhead, Ironton Town Tavern, had Arrogant Bastard on tap with Alaskan IPA waiting in the wings! Not too shabby for a nascent biking destination (plenty of road riding too).
    - Sean

Barstock Liquor Store in Crosby had a good selection of micro brews, and even had a pick a pack selection. The owner was really friendly.

Spiritual Vessel
    MORC Member

Thumbs up Cuyuna = W-I-N-N-I-N-G!

Cliff Notes:
    • Great trail system stemming from a lot of hard work and cooperation across a variety of governmental bodies. Kudos for the teamwork and everyone involved in its evolution and culmination over many years!
    • Local economy in need of a shot in the arm. Nearest bar to the "main" trailhead, Ironton Town Tavern, had Arrogant Bastard on tap with Alaskan IPA waiting in the wings! Not too shabby for a nascent biking destination (plenty of road riding too).
    • Coaches in Deerwood had solid food - even for vegetarians.
    • Only two hours door-to-door from SLP. Said differently, not much further than Milaca, which pales in an extremely limp-British-way by comparison.
    • Minor nits re initial maps and signage. Once you figure out the flow though all is golden.
    • The rocks/surface are no joke. You will BLEED like no other surface I've encountered. Never ridden across a surface that *chinks* like riding across a pile of broken glass!
      • The XX stuff on the Yawkey Unit was hike-a-bike for me because (i) I possess limited skills, and (ii) I own no body armor and a blood transfusion in Crosby will never be on my bucket list!
      • A *grazing* by a rock on the Chute trail left my right shin looking like I was attacked by a Honey Badger!
    • Only regret is not taking advantage of the clear, clean waters of the mine lakes...had too much fun riding. Hopefully, next time will be during warmer weather. Paddleboarding to fly fish FTMFWy0!
    • A definite weekend-destination a la Cable/Hayward. Doesn't currently have the mileage of Cable but is different in many ways...and MINNESOTAN (Packers SUCK!)
    Please, please, please show your support and try to make Cuyuna a weekend (or more) destination this year. It was very apparent, at least to me, that a lot of political and financial capital was contributed to make this happen and the quality of the trails merit our serious use and respect.

- Sean
    Submit your grievances here.

Forum Master
    MORC Member Dirt Boss Gnome Club

Quote Originally Posted by fatlake View Post
    If it was one lap = 9 miles (correct me if I'm wrong). Winning time of 32 minutes (rounded up). That's an average speed of 16.9 MPH! That seems a tad fast.
    Few of the climbs are brutal and most of the decents are set up to really fly so a high average seems reasonable if you are a racer and climbing is your thing.
    There is no Leb Mafia... as far as you know.

Stump Jumper
    I didn't race, but I'm trying to get an idea of how fast the average speed would be for the short course. If it was one lap = 9 miles (correct me if I'm wrong). Winning time of 32 minutes (rounded up). That's an average speed of 16.9 MPH! That seems a tad fast. So what would be an actual competitive average speed for one lap? Just so I have something to work towards.

The math. 32min/60min = .5333hours

9miles/.5333hours = 16.875Miles/hour

Thanks.

Forum Master

Good seein' ya all up there! Had a good time ridin' and chillin' with peeps!

World class trails right in our back yard. Everyone involved with building them should be extremely proud! Had a blast ridin', thanks for all the work guys!

Thanks!
    Buck (the guy with the big ass truck)

Bike Guru
    MORC Member Gnome Club Snowride Club

Timing

I thought the timing issue may have been do to the race starting 1/2 hour later then planned. Maybe the clocks started timing at noon? If you take 40mins off your lap time it seems about right. Just speculating... I dont know for a fact.

Singlespeed

Cuyuna Festival

I agree that some of the racing logistics were a bit disorganized. However, I would consider the festival overall to be a success. Everyone I spoke to had a big $hit eating grin over how great the trails were. Most of the people up there for the races ended up riding a ton all weekend because the new singletrack was so awesome. I was glad to put in a race pace effort on Saturday and Sunday, get in a good workout and most of all enjoy rolling through what was close to 100 miles of some of the most pristine trail I have ever ridden by the end of the weekend. I was pretty well blown by the time the XC race started, but I didn't care.

I am confident that by next year they'll have the race course dialed in. This trail is a GREAT place not only to ride but a fantastic venue for racing. I could easily see an MNMBS or similar race taking place here with the right staffing and organization.

In the mean time, get up there and check it out. Words can't describe it...you need to see it for yourself.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information