+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mtn bike race / ride at lutsen

Log Jumper

Have $79.00 of uncashed check as it was not cashed by Chequamagon staff. I'll shell out some more $$ and I'll be able to do the 39er. I'm sure the course will be similar to Chequamagon fat tire race. I guess I wont have to contend with the lottery (yet) for this race.

Beginner Trail
    MORC Member

Lutsen Mt is not the ONLY option on North Shore

Reading through the postings onthis thread I see a lot of negative responses to the fact that Lutsen Mountain Ski hill no longer formally allows mountain biking on their property. While this is true, I think we all need to keep this in perspective...Lutsen Mountain Ski Hill is only a small part of what the Lutsen/North SHore area has to offer for Mountain Biking....Has anybody been to Pincussion in Grand Marais lately --rivals/beats anything I've riden in the Twins Cities -- has long climb to get to the trail head from the main drag, rolling hills (ala Chequemegon and similar to those that remember the 'old' murphy hannerhan trails), and some great single track that rivals the current Murhpy trails. Many other options in other areas as well.

I've been vacationing in the North Short/Lutsen area for 15 years now and have only scratched the surface of the wilderness/fire roads to explore. As for the Lutse Ski hill-- while it's officially no longer open, I've ridden it many times and passed up Lutsen staff and I've never gotten anything more than a 'hi there' from them.

Regarding the Lutsen 99er/39er, yes the route is majority fire/gravel roads - I've actually riden a good portion of the 39er route last year while exploring and found it to be a great ride, if not very technical -- the climb up caribou trail/CR4 will challenge ANYONE. WHile not sure of the exact route of the final few miles, I do believe this must be on more dirt/grass trail or snowmobile trails, rather than gravel as it finishes along a cross country ski trail route coming back into the resort from the Northwest.

I say give the race and the area a chance and if we show strong interest, we just may turn a few heads in the Lutsen Ski hill mgmt and change ther minds. I know that the resort owners in the area are VERY interested in making mountain biking successful in the area so let's show support rather than continuing to hold a grudge against one proprietor in the vast wilderness of the north shore.

Spiritual Vessel
    MORC Member
    Sounds like a monster-cross/gravel bike event, not a mountain bike race. YMMV, I'm going to Cuyuna!
    Submit your grievances here.

Big Air
    Quote Originally Posted by c'dale600dsc View Post
    Website is now taking registrations. It is pricey $100.00 for both 39er and 99er
    LTF Employee $100, LTF Member $110, General Public $120, North Shore Resident $100 (ID check will be required)

Log Jumper

Registration

Website is now taking registrations. It is pricey $100.00 for both 39er and 99er

Crazed Zealot
    MORC Member Dirt Boss Snowride Club
    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerBEN View Post
    while this may not be a great course at this point, we are failing to see the opportunity to solidly represent the mn biking community. If this event does well it might just be a way to demonstrate the economic opportunity MTBing could be in that area, If I were morc leadership I would be beating the bushes to get everyone up there to fill the race up, all the while elbowing lutsens management saying "look at all these dollars that would love to have a trail worthy of travelling for 2-3 times a summer"
    There are some incredible future opportunities for destination mountain biking in northern MN. Some are MORC projects, COGGs projects, or other group projects. MORC is not the club on the ground in the Arrowhead region, but the local riders on the North Shore are becoming active and there are some great plans out there. Some trails are already built, others are actively being designed, and others are in future planning. I think the North Shore will be a mountain bike destination some day. MORC has 22 miles of spectacular singletrack trails ready to open this Spring at Cuyuna near Crosby-Ironton. There are also other opportunities in this area that are being pursued. COGGs has quite a few miles of trail they are currently maintaining and they have some neat plans for future trail expansion in the Duluth area in the coming years. There are two small groups working on designing and eventually building two trail clusters in the Grand Marais area. I think the opportunities in Cuyuna, Duluth, and Grand Marais areas will become the destination trails we have all been waiting for. The great thing is that we don't have to wait. Cuyuna is here. We can enjoy this while we wait for the rest to become reality. MN has over 40 miles of new singletrack opening in 2011 and there will be more to come. We are gaining more than we are losing and I am excited to see what the future holds for MN mountain biking!

Dirt Boss - Lebanon Hills
    MORC Member Dirt Boss Gnome Club

Or, MORC could just devote the energy to make the Cuyuna grand opening a giant success and validate to the DNR and Crosby/Ironton that it ws a good idea to have built that extra sweet hunk of trail. There's already more stuff on the table looking to Cuyuna to demonstrate the viability of dedicated bike trails.

I know, "a racers gotta race", and all that but if it's to show support for mtn biking in general, Cuyuna is the place to be that weekend. The DNR and other land managers will be looking more at Cuyuna than at a once-a-year race event to decide if MTN bike trails are a positive influence on an area.
    There is no Leb Mafia... as far as you know.

Big Air
    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerBEN View Post
    while this may not be a great course at this point, we are failing to see the opportunity to solidly represent the mn biking community. If this event does well it might just be a way to demonstrate the economic opportunity MTBing could be in that area, If I were morc leadership I would be beating the bushes to get everyone up there to fill the race up, all the while elbowing lutsens management saying "look at all these dollars that would love to have a trail worthy of travelling for 2-3 times a summer"
    While you bring up very good point about showing up in numbers, it will sadly fall on deaf Lutsen management ears.
    Check their FB page....... "At no point in our future will we bring back biking to Lutsen." Management doesn't see the need to operate the mountains for the biking $$$ during the summer. Too big of a liability I guess!!?? I always remember signing my life away when we would ride there 4 + times a year.

Hopefully I'm way off base here, but I've been hounding them nicely for years to bring biking back.

Peace

Bike Guru

Singlespeed
    MORC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathRider View Post
    On the other hand the Lutsen area has beautiful terrain. back in 97 there was a race from Lutsen Mtns called the back 40. It covered gravel roads , not the single track,and it was great.
    Glad someone else remembered this race. Nobody ever believes me when I talk about the Lutsen Mountain Bike Festival. 40 mile race, log pull, junker throw and wheelie contest if I recall right.

Log Jumper

lutsen 99er is the same day as the Dirty B which is also 100 miles on gravel and FREE! but if you didn't already sign up registration is closed. On the other hand the Lutsen area has beautiful terrain. back in 97 there was a race from Lutsen Mtns called the back 40. It covered gravel roads , not the single track,and it was great. If it wasn't my son's birthday on the 11th I would be doing the race. I still might race it if I can make a deal with him.

Sage
    Snowride Club
    Is there some reason this will be raced on mountain bikes? The heck has more technical trail and 32-40c tires seem to be ideal.

Trail Rider
    MORC Member

To be honest, I actually got more excited about it after this thread. There's a lot of similarity between the Lutsen 99er and the Leadville 100 - minus a few obvious things, like the altitude and elevation change. But, for anyone that thinks the Leadville 100 would be cool, then this is a shot at seeing what it's like to ride fire roads for 100 miles on a mountain bike. This is a more doable version of it.

This race wasn't much on my radar at first. But the idea of trying to do 100 miles on forest roads in the Sawtooths on a mountain bike is pretty appealing.

Beginner Trail

I was excited about this race until this thread

Babbling Biker
    MORC Member Snowride Club
    Quote Originally Posted by TML View Post
    I'd be tempted if it wasn't the same weekend as the Cuyuna grand opening.
    If I'm not mistaken it's also the same weekend as the MS 150. I realize the MN race/ride calendar is pretty full, but it would seem that weekend is pretty well booked already. Not that many Lutsen99 riders are MS150 riders, there may be a few, but hopefully there will be a few at the Cuyuna grand opening.
    when do we ride?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information