http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._400009_400034

thats the best deal I've seen on these!
    I just ordered a pair

Dirt Boss - Lebanon Hills
    MORC Member Dirt Boss
    Once you have your fatbike, next step it to get some of these
    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._400009_400034
    Bad decisions make good stories.
    Leb Caporegime, hoping to move up to Underboss.

Forum Master
    MORC Member Gnome Club Snowride Club
    Quote Originally Posted by tedsti View Post
    Our crew has been there several times in zero degree weather with everyone freezing while someone tried to wrestle their rear wheel off of their pug. Vertical drops FTW.
    That reminds me - I need to go get more Co2 and ditch my lame a$$ pump so you guys don't have to wait as long this year......
    650B has arrived!

Crazed Zealot
    MORC Member Dirt Boss Snowride Club
    Quote Originally Posted by tedsti View Post
    One more big reason to go 907 or Mukluk over pug is vertical drops. I know that Surly changed their brake mounts this year so you don't have to mess with the brakes anymore. But it is still a PITA to get the rear wheel off if you get a flat with horizontal drops. Our crew has been there several times in zero degree weather with everyone freezing while someone tried to wrestle their rear wheel off of their pug. Vertical drops FTW.
    Great info Ted!

MORC Member Dirt Boss
    One more big reason to go 907 or Mukluk over pug is vertical drops. I know that Surly changed their brake mounts this year so you don't have to mess with the brakes anymore. But it is still a PITA to get the rear wheel off if you get a flat with horizontal drops. Our crew has been there several times in zero degree weather with everyone freezing while someone tried to wrestle their rear wheel off of their pug. Vertical drops FTW.
    Bad decisions make good stories.
    Leb Caporegime, hoping to move up to Underboss.

Dirt Boss - Elm Creek
    Quote Originally Posted by manual63 View Post
    Quote from Salsa blog as of Oct 6th.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    What he said. I finally put a computer on my Pug around 4th of july. Since then, I got over 400 miles on it, in addition to another 150 miles on the 907 that I keep in town to use when I'm out with slower riders.

Just a few more weeks and the studded endos go back onto the Cabin bike.

Studded Fat Tires = the epitome of having your cake & eating it too!
    Life is too Serious to be taken Seriously!

Quote Originally Posted by RichZilla View Post
    And Kid is right about the all year use too. Ask Bob. I believe he has an extra one, just for cabin use.
    What he said. I finally put a computer on my Pug around 4th of july. Since then, I got over 400 miles on it, in addition to another 150 miles on the 907 that I keep in town to use when I'm out with slower riders.

Just a few more weeks and the studded endos go back onto the Cabin bike.
    Leb borgata capodecina

Dirt Boss - Elm Creek
    Quote Originally Posted by manual63 View Post
    Quote from Salsa blog as of Oct 6th.
    I read the: "...on track for November.".. But, what does "On Track" mean?.. I heard somebody else say that Salsa has 1 bike for every 4 orders for the first run.

No dis-credit to Salsa, I'm sure they're doing their best to get them delivered ASAP.

I have a Mukluk on order, I'm usually VERY impatient about matters like this. This time, I'm taken' a chill pill. If they don't come, I'll XC ski, ride when I can and B-Happy.
    Life is too Serious to be taken Seriously!

Big Air
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Riemer View Post

I'll also state the obvious here...the Mukluk (and all other fatbikes for that matter) are not just for winter use. Ask anyone who has actually spent a decent amount of time on one and they will tell you, they are the only bike capable of riding certain terrain/conditions.
    Man you couldn't be more right!!!!!
    Mid Jan. 2010 i pedaled my Pug out of my LBS, and i haven't gotten off it yet!!
    well ok, a tweek here and a tweek there, but Calvin at Bikes On Howard did the tweeking while i waited, and BS'd with him. it doesn't get much better than that!!!

while steels sweet ride doesn't show up on the snow, it's pure joy on the trails around here, during the non dark times!!
    iron ore rocks the size of ones head, get eaten up by the Fat tires!! there's also going where others can't, and that's just freaking awesome in it's self!!!!

Peace, Joe

Crazed Zealot
    MORC Member Dirt Boss
    Quote Originally Posted by ryno lite View Post
    I have a question. Other than corrosion from winter road salt and the lighter weight, what is the advantage of the aluminum frame over the steel? I would not be getting road salt on my bike and I really like steel, so I wonder if there are any other advantages of the Mukluk over the Pug?
    There may also be geometrical differences too. Standover height, rear wheel offset, frame width, etc. Even within the same brand, the different materials could have different geometry. (907?) Gotta see which one fits you best.
    To hesitate is a waste of time.

Crazed Zealot
    Quote Originally Posted by soupboy View Post
    Price, as in hundreds of dollars for a complete bike (for now). The weight and corrosion resistance alone make it a win. While you might not get salt from riding in the snow, road spray is a concern if you're going to carry it outside your vehicle.

Also, steel's legendary *ride* means little on the soft stuff (snow or sand).
    I also realize that the harshness of aluminum won't be as apparent with those huge tires.

Spiritual Vessel
    MORC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryno lite View Post
    I have a question. Other than corrosion from winter road salt and the lighter weight, what is the advantage of the aluminum frame over the steel? I would not be getting road salt on my bike and I really like steel, so I wonder if there are any other advantages of the Mukluk over the Pug?
    Price, as in hundreds of dollars for a complete bike (for now). The weight and corrosion resistance alone make it a win. While you might not get salt from riding in the snow, road spray is a concern if you're going to carry it outside your vehicle.

Also, steel's legendary *ride* means little on the soft stuff (snow or sand).
    Submit your grievances here.

Crazed Zealot

Spiritual Vessel
    MORC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopherhockey View Post
    If mother nature doesn't bring it we'll find a way to make it...
    Quote Originally Posted by KleinCrazy View Post
    What if we have a low snow year? Global warming and all yah know!

Easy, the Pagans should burn the Believers and shred the gnar upon their copious, chilled ashes.
    Submit your grievances here.

Log Jumper
    MORC Member Snowride Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Riemer View Post
    Writing from Alaska here...stop speculating.

Mukluk's will be available in November. Shops that are saying March/April are shops that didn't get their orders in early enough to take stock from our November shipment.

Keep in mind there will also be framesets available in November.

I'll also state the obvious here...the Mukluk (and all other fatbikes for that matter) are not just for winter use. Ask anyone who has actually spent a decent amount of time on one and they will tell you, they are the only bike capable of riding certain terrain/conditions.

If you are looking for a Mukluk, start by looking that the list of our Authorized Dealers. The November shipment was taken by them. Those that say they won't have till March/April didn't get in on the first shipment.
    thanks kid you should post this in the salsa blog to straiten everyone out. great info!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information