+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scott Scale 29 vs. Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29

Stump Jumper
    MORC Member

IMO... try one, buy the one that you like on that given day, ride it - wear it out. it will change your life. go!

Granny Gear
    MORC Member

Thanks!!

Thank you for the feedback and opinions. I was leaning toward the Specialized for two reasons, one practical because the LBS is within a couple miles from home and one impractical....it just looks cool!! I will ride before I buy but my list is getting very short.

Thanks again.

Spiritual Vessel
    MORC Member
    If this is your first mountain bike I'd go with a major brand like Specialized or Gary Fisher where you know the dealer support network isn't going anywhere in the near future.

Price-wise, the difference between the bikes mentioned by the OP is more than made up for by the better parts spec on the Specialized bike. Also, you can usually do better than MSRP at the LBS...if not offered, ask.
    Submit your grievances here.

Journeyman
    It all comes down to what you like. Do you like powerful, jumpy brakes? Or smooth controlled ones? You like climbing hills with your front tire in the air? Or a stable, predictable climbing machine. Personally I would save a lot more and buy a Niner Air 9 carbon. I could smoke Lance Armstrong on one of these.

Big Air
    MORC Member Dirt Boss
    Quote Originally Posted by V View Post
    I also noticed on the competitivecyclist website, that scott's frame only has a 3 year warranty. I believe specialized has a lifetime warranty to the original owner.
    Yep, the Specialized does have a life time warranty to the original owner.
    FAQ #9:
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/sbcfaq.jsp

Journeyman

I own the Motobecane Team Fly 29er, titanium and you are in the price range to consider this one as well. It has Avid Elixir CR discs with carbon levers, Reba Race fork and all XTR components, plus a Ti frame that looks and performs as well as other top brand Ti bikes on the market.

My 21" (XL) bike weighs 23.0 pounds (with 1x9 set-up = no front derailleur, shifter, small or large chain rings). It weighed 24.4 pounds before 1x9 conversion.

The GF Superfly has the same geometry, so you could ride one of these to get an idea of fit and feel.

The Fly is the best deal out there for a top quality HT 29er.

Oh, and all Motobecane Titanium frames carry a 100 year warranty!

Dirt Spanker
    MORC Member
    I also noticed on the competitivecyclist website, that scott's frame only has a 3 year warranty. I believe specialized has a lifetime warranty to the original owner.
    -elitism police-

Dirt Spanker
    MORC Member
    scott has slightly shorter chain stays, which will make the bike feel a little snappier under acceleration.

Specialized has 2* steeper headtube angle, which will help it steer quicker, but not be quite as stable at high speeds.

Bikes are close enough on most other specs that you'd have to ride 'em to know which one you like.
    -elitism police-

Granny Gear
    MORC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by V View Post

I don't see any geometry specs on Scott's site, so I can't comment on how the handling may differ.
    You can view the geometry specs here .........like I said, it is all greek to me!!

Dirt Spanker
    MORC Member
    Both quite similar builds, both appear to be great bikes. I weighed a Stumpy in the shop last fall, (size XL) and if I recall correctly, the XL size was the exact same as what scott specs for the scale on their site. (typically a size M)

Two things set the stumpjumper ahead, IMO.

1. Avid Elixir Brakes. I think they have more power and have better modulation than Juicy 5's. Tool-less lever reach adjustment, also.
    2. Shimano Deore shifters. I'll admit to being more of a SRAM guy, but I'm surprised to only see a Deore on a bike otherwise spec'd quite well. You'd have to upgrade to XT or at least SLX to match the performance of an X-7. I've run X-7's for the last year, and even in the -10* cold, they perform flawlessly.

I don't see any geometry specs on Scott's site, so I can't comment on how the handling may differ. The scott has 100mm travel vs. the stumpy's 90mm, which may or may not be enough to note. I have ridden a Stumpy on the trail, and absolutely loved it.
    -elitism police-

Granny Gear
    MORC Member

Scott Scale 29 vs. Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29

I am looking for my first mountain bike. I am not knowledgeable enough about all the components to even consider building a bike so I am looking to buy new from a LBS. I am pretty sure a HT 29 is the bike for me and the type of riding I will be doing. I know I need to ride before I buy but I am interested in your opinions on the two bikes that have made my short list....so far.

What are the differences between the Scott Scale 29 and the Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29? Is one a better bike? From a price standpoint, the Scott is about $150 less ($1650 vs. $1800). I have read everything I can find but being a newbie, most of it is still greek to me. Also if there is another bike in this class that I should definitely add to my short list, please tell me what it is and why.

Thanks, I appreciate all the help!!

RJ

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information