+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Hills, SD - WOW!

Singlespeed
    MORC Member

Just happened to stumble on this thread. My brother and I took a road trip out to SD a couple weeks back and I was able to get a ride in. Also met up with Eddie from Rabbit Bike who was really cool and we hit up the Centennial trail. Agree one hundred percent
    about the gasping!!! The elevation and climbing are killer but it was a must do!

Quote Originally Posted by Hudak View Post
    I was in the Black Hills this summer. It is incredible.

We rode all around Lake Sheridan on shared trails through some pretty heavy terrain and then decided it was best to head up to Hill City to go find a bike shop. We met up with Eddie, the owner of Rabbitt Cycle (www.rabbitbike.com) to get maps of local hot-spots, and he also invited us to join a group ride going on later that night. We ended up with about 10 different rides to choose from - this was the best decision we made all trip.

I'll post some photos of the trip and locations we rode, but for anyone going that direction check out the following trails to start, and visit Eddie and Joey at Rabbitt for maps, repairs, or to inquire about group rides.

Breezy Point
    Storm Mountain
    Bull Dog
    Bone Collector
    Skyline

IMPORTANT
    The avg. elevation in the black hills region is about 5K-6K feet above sea level - these rides will literally take your breath away.. Prepare for the elevation, the air is thin, and the switchbacks are long and numerous. Prepare to climb!

The people we were riding with were 50-60 yrs old, and me (28) and my buddy (27) were gasping, dying to keep up, while they were barely breaking a sweat.

I haven't been short of breath since that trip on any ride around the metro.

I've been to Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, and now SD, and I will say without a doubt, the Black Hills offer some of the most diverse and scenic (not to mention lung destroying) rides I've yet to experience.

World class riding just 12 hours west.

Big Air
    MORC Member
    Damn nice pics man...got me jonesin for a ride out there. I've taken my harley out to the Black Hills 6 or 7 times and loved it. Always with one eye on the hills thinking one day I need to get out here and mountain bike.

I think I might try to make this a family event next year. I've recently got our 12 and 13 y.o boys hooked on mountain biking and this will be a way we can enjoy the black hills together since my harley only has one back seat.

Trail Rider

Wow - Agreed

I am quite happy that I live within 5 hours of this place...and spent many a summer out there. Stupid awesome place to visit no matter what it is that you are doing...hiking, kayaking, snowmobiling, etc. Why do I go there? ...because of things like this:

Journeyman

LOVE the Bone Collector

Quote Originally Posted by Stonehenge View Post
    KT....by the looks of your avetar....you should like the bone collector.

You did see the entrance...right...the skulls and such.....

Ish, Ryan and others.....head out to the festival next memorial weekend and get the lay of the land first hand....well at least some of it....
    will take alot of riding to do alot more.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3472.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	4110

Entrance of Bone Collector Fat Tire Festival 09...

Name:	IMG_1177.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	4111

My ride at the Entrance...

Name:	IMG_3478.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	4113

Atop the Bone Collector after a down pour...
    Last edited by Adubb; 10-22-2009 at 07:23 PM. Reason: forgot some pics...

Trail Rider
    MORC Member

evening fare as well

I would add Crow Peak brewery in Spearfish and the Firehouse in Rapid City. The guys at Rushmore Sports are good guys, also..

Stump Jumper

Great riding in the black hills. I would also recommend stopping in at Acme Bicycles.

Dirt Spanker

Quote Originally Posted by fallingup View Post
    Definitely great riding! I was out there for the Black Hills Fat Tire Festival & definitely enjoyed the trails. Bone Collector and Breezy Point were my favs! Can't wait to get out there again!

KT....by the looks of your avetar....you should like the bone collector.

You did see the entrance...right...the skulls and such.....

Ish, Ryan and others.....head out to the festival next memorial weekend and get the lay of the land first hand....well at least some of it....
    will take alot of riding to do alot more.

Sage
    MORC Member

Thumbs up

Definitely great riding! I was out there for the Black Hills Fat Tire Festival & definitely enjoyed the trails. Bone Collector and Breezy Point were my favs! Can't wait to get out there again!
    "don't forget your towel"

Log Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by stoneage View Post
    Tim Wegner is very familiar with the Black Hills area. I went there with him about 6 years ago, and his son came from CO to ride with us. I keep telling people how good it is, but they don't realize it till they go there. Some of the best MTB trails I have ever been on. Bring a road bike also. The rides in Custer State Park are astonishing, even if you have to share the roads with Harleys.
    The difference from 6 years ago and today is pretty significant.

There is a basic guidebook out. It was for sale at our festival. Contact recreate2000 on the boards.

Beginner Trail

Trail maps and locals..

There are two awesome shops in the area you should visit to get the low down on trails and how to find them, it's not always easy or obvious. We had a heck of a time even with very specific instructions on what to look for, where to turn etc. As always, tubes, tire patches and a pump are a good idea here, these rides can get long and the terrain rough.

Ask for Tim or Brett @ Acme Bicycles (their website is below) in Rapid City and Eddie or Joey @ Rabbitt Cycle in Hill City are the guys(gal) we met up with along with several other locals who seemed to know the area really well. Eddie had maps printed already and Acme's site has some of them online.

See here: http://www.acmebicycles.com/trailinfo.htm

Of course there are many more trails (and some pirated, some you have to ride too out the back of a parking lot etc..) so make sure to stop and ask the locals, they have the knowledge.

Dirt Boss - Lebanon Hills
    MORC Member Dirt Boss Gnome Club

I really would like to do some biking out there too.

A few years ago I did the South Dakota trip (bikeless) with the fam and I was thinking the whole time how good the riding could be.

Crazed Zealot
    MORC Member Dirt Boss Snowride Club
    Can't wait to ride there someday when they have maps and guidebooks available. I hear great things!

Bike Master
    Not to much for maps yet. We hooked up with a local for one ride and did the LCR thing after for the rest of our rides. It's a great place to ride and can't wait to get back out that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ish View Post
    Have they developed maps yet, or do you still have to ride with locals to find the trails?

I need to get out there soon!!!

Forum Master
    MORC Member Gnome Club Snowride Club
    Have they developed maps yet, or do you still have to ride with locals to find the trails?

I need to get out there soon!!!
    650B has arrived!

Chainring Keeper
    MORC Member
    There's nothing natural about an off-road bike trail.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information