Thread: MORC Twitter

Bike Guru
    MORC Member
    Word! Tapatalk is the bomb!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "You are not worth tomorrow morning." ~Little B

Trail Rider
    MORC Member
    I use taptalk and it rocks... It keeps me reading about bike stuff when I am bored and just about anywhere. Now the only thing I need to fix is my phone service

Dirt Boss - Lebanon Hills
    MORC Member Dirt Boss Snowride Club
    Quote Originally Posted by jwcutler View Post
    I use an app called Tapatalk on my iPhone to keep up to date with different forums like MTBR and MORC. Not sure if it is available for Android or not but it is worth the look. You login once and when you visit again it displays new posts with an option to mark all as read if it's been awhile...
    Yes, at least a bunch of Android owners are using - and loving - tap-a-talk. Thanks, John for setting it up.

Here's John's original announcement:

http://www.morcmtb.org/forums/showth...iPhone-Android
    Leb borgata capodecina

Granny Gear
    MORC Member
    I use an app called Tapatalk on my iPhone to keep up to date with different forums like MTBR and MORC. Not sure if it is available for Android or not but it is worth the look. You login once and when you visit again it displays new posts with an option to mark all as read if it's been awhile...

Big Air
    MORC Member

What about sending updates via text?

Spiritual Vessel
    MORC Member
    Moar apps!

Submit your grievances here.

MORC Lifetime Achievement Winner
    MORC Member Dirt Boss Gnome Club Snowride Club
    There is an option to add "tweet this" to all posts and threads, letting people enter their own Twitter account/pwd and twit whatever they want. For now I'm concentrating on the trail conditions system before branching out.

I may add the morc twitter account to the MORC news forum (where only the board can post) so that updates there go to the twitter account automatically.

Whatever it is needs to be fool proof. Anytime you ask userse to remember special characters for things to work you are asking for trouble.
    Leb on Facebook: www.facebook.com/lebanonhills
    MORC Webmaster / Lebanon Hills Trail Steward & Dirt Boss / Leb Mafia / iFanboy

topher
    Can you follow hashtags via tweetie and other mobile apps? I never really got into hash tags.

Singlespeed

Another idea instead of giving out the MORC account info to others would be to decide on a tagging convention that people could use to post their own reports and others can follow. For example, all "public" Leb reports would be tagged #Lebhillsmtb (or whatever). Then, anyone could post their own report via their own Twitter account, just adding the tag #Lebhillsmtb, and we can follow the #Lebhillsmtb reports. The official MORC posts can also use those tags to make sure they show up in both places. No extra work for anyone other than to add the tag to their Tweets. Make sense?

topher
    What's "the paper?"

Spiritual Vessel
    MORC Member
    Ooops, I just tweeted.

Srsly, how much more connectivity does this place need?

Off to read the paper...
    Submit your grievances here.

topher
    Good idea. If I can offer one recommendation, find a a few people that you trust and have give them the login/pw and allow them to post trail conditions, etc. You can't be everywhere at once.

And make sure you RT if a user posts something, i.e. set tweet deck to auto return results for "lebanon hills" - "Murphy" - etc, this way you can glean info from people you may not follow.

You'll also quickly grow your followers and reach if you do this.

Dirt Boss - Lebanon Hills
    MORC Member Dirt Boss Gnome Club

Quote Originally Posted by gopherhockey View Post
    Twitter... but it looks like Facebook without all the BS...
    So it's like... nothing???

MORC Lifetime Achievement Winner
    MORC Member Dirt Boss Gnome Club Snowride Club
    Twitter is basically a "what are you doing today" type of application where you can post or view updates from friends and family. I haven't used Twitter all that long but it looks like Facebook without all the BS "I'm so wonderful, look what I like" stuff behind the scenes.

How it relates to MORC? It was suggested a year or so ago by a few that use Twitter that it would be nice to get instant trail conditions posted to twitter so they could be updated instantly.

Here is a screen capture of Twitter in your web browser with some test updates I've been sending when a trail condition is posted:

Even more powerful I think is the remote capabilities. Here is a screen capture from my iPhone twitter app showing the latest (test) updates as well as an update from the actual MORC Twitter account:

What do you need to do to update Twitter you ask? Nothing. When you click reply to a trail condition thread and save the update, my code sends your information automatically to the twitter account. Those who are watching the trailconditions account will get your update instantly.

Note: even if you don't have a fancy Twitter app, you can set your Twitter account to notify your cell phone via text messages. Long story short, you don't need to actively participate in Twitter to take advantage of trail condition and morc updates!

There is also an RSS option I haven't tested yet, but I'm guessing you can set up an RSS feed from your Twitter account and have the updates instantly sent to your RSS reader (I use Outlook). Just another way to get information instantly. Here is the RSS feed part of Twitter:

And here is Outlook getting the RSS feed instantly as they are posted:

The best part is the trail conditions are all saved in one place and are consistent regardless of the medium used to see it.

The morc Twitter is located here: http://twitter.com/morcmtb

The trail conditions Twitter is still under testing but will be published soon.
    Last edited by gopherhockey; 05-27-2009 at 07:47 AM.
    Leb on Facebook: www.facebook.com/lebanonhills
    MORC Webmaster / Lebanon Hills Trail Steward & Dirt Boss / Leb Mafia / iFanboy

Chainring Keeper
    MORC Member Dirt Boss Bike Patrol Snowride Club
    Quote Originally Posted by ppgc View Post
    You guys are so far behind the times you should wear helmets while using a computer.

Hey,

It only takes 45 minutes to load the homepage when I log in using my trusty 300Baud modem!
    James Ford
    "KleinCrazy"

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information