+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CAMBA and the CFTF

Backcountry Patrol Director
    MORC Member Dirt Boss Bike Patrol

CAMBA Report: Delta and Drummond Clusters

Rode the Wilderness Lake loop in the CAMBA Delta Cluster today. Trail is in great shape, considering they have had at least as much rain as we have. BUT...this is a big bear hunting area, and there were hunters and hounds all over the place. We were fine until we came around a corner on some doubletrack and there was a Chevy Blazer coming right at us. We decided to go over to Drummond where vehicle access is restricted.

Rode Boulevard Trail from TH to Lake Owen this afternoon, and rode Jackrabbit Loop last week after CFTF. There are wet spots, especially on the NE side of Jackrabbit, but all in all, the trails are in good shape. Removed about a half-dozen downed trees from Boulevard while patrolling. Two larger ones just before reaching Lake Owen Rd were reported to CAMBA to be cut out with chain saws. Be careful, because they both are just after you break over the hill to head down to the lake.

Fall colors are at or near peak north of Cable and should be at peak in the next week or so south of C. Rd. "M". Absolutely beautiful day today.

Ride safe,
    Hans
    "Come to the forest, where the other you lives!"

Big Air
    Me and my wife are heading to the area in about a month. She hasn't rode her bike in over a year (pregnancy, child birth etc ) so it will be like she is a newbie. We are looking to ride single track but nothing to technical, does anyone have a suggestion for a good trail to hit? I cruised around the camba site and just looking for more info.

tia

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerBEN View Post
    stupid job girlfriend life etc.
    Buy her a bike! I bought my wife a bike and she started riding the easier CAMBA trails with me when I was patrolling. I bought my daughters bikes, and that "inspired" my two sons-in-law to get bikes. Now we are buying bikes for each grandkid as they turn five.

Buy here a bike, take her camping. Do some easy trails like Drummond Cluster to build up to the singletrack. What ever you do, don't leave her behind!

Hans

Bike Guru

I've never had the pleasure of doing either cftf or riding the camba trails, a weekend trip is on my list but heck lately I barely make it to redwing for a ride per week, and that is only 20 minutes away, stupid job girlfriend life etc.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerBEN View Post
    I would think you would have to admit that camba has benefited from it.
    Undoubtedly. Not only is it a big draw to the area, but Gary gives them exposure through the Trail Tours, space for a booth, and a big donation each year.

You weren't the only one, Ben. Our very own MORC Patrol Director, Danny Glassic was one who based his opinion on what he saw working the race.

Later,
    Hans

Bike Guru

as I mentioned in the other thread, I was just saying that the thousand+ riders that the cftf draws to the area, might be a contributing factor to the large number of non-local members. W/o CFTF would that many riders from Madison milwaukee and chicago make it past levis. Camba, from all accounts, has a fantastic trail system with great advertisement, but I was just saying that CFTF has really given great exposure to the opportunities in the cable area. Sorry I was wrong in assuming that camba has a hand in cftf, but I would think you would have to admit that camba has benefited from it.

CAMBA and the CFTF

(Note: I am posting this here because nothing has been posted in this section yet, and John put Drummond in the forum at my request. It actually applies to the entire CAMBA trails system.)

Based on some comments posted in several other threads, I think a misconception needs to be cleared up about the Chequamegon Area Mountain Bike Association (CAMBA) trails and the Chequamegon Fat Tire Festival (CFTF):

The CFTF does not run on CAMBA trails! If you base your opinion of mountain biking in the Cable area on what you may have ridden in the Fat Tire, you are missing out on the some of the best riding in the region. The CFTF is a 16 or 40 mile race that runs on dirt roads, doubletrack, fire lanes and the Birkie trail that can handle 2500 mountain bikers, plus spectators and support personnel. To put that kind of single-day burden on the CAMBA trails would cause severe damage to the trail system. There are over 300 miles of marked, mapped, no-conflict trails in the CAMBA system for riders of all abilities.

CAMBA and the CFTF are not the same thing! CAMBA is a volunteer, non-profit organization very similar in structure and purpose to MORC. The Fat Tire Festival is it's own entity, that exists solely to put on one of the finest MTB races in the nation, every year in September. CAMBA is an advocacy organization, with it's own board, director and seasonal paid trail crew. It does not put on, or host the Fat Tire Festival, but as a way to promote riding in the area, they conduct the CAMBA Trail Tours on the Friday of CFTF, and many members (such as myself and the Backcountry Trail Patrol) are active in the operation of the race. The CFTF is one of the largest sponsors of CAMBA, similar to the way the Spring Cup and Afton races support MORC.

If you have only ridden the CFTF course, YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHING YET! As I said, there are over 300 miles of mountain bike trails up there, and if you are on the Fat Tire course, you are not on them.

Check it out!

Hans
    Proud CAMBA Member
    Last edited by TrailPatrol; 07-13-2007 at 09:09 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information