+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 157

Thread: Decision time - the Tour starts tomorrow...

  1. #157
    Big Air
    MORC Member
    RiverRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Nordeast
    Posts
    595
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Non-Doping Cyclists Finish Tour De France

    http://www.theonion.com/content/news...finish_tour_de
    I thought about posting that as well. Way to go clean cyclists!
    Keep your Uptown outta my Nordeast! -Grumpy Mechanic Society quote

  2. #156
    Forum Master
    MORC Member Gnome Club Snowride Club
    Ish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Eagan
    Posts
    3,764
    Non-Doping Cyclists Finish Tour De France

    http://www.theonion.com/content/news...finish_tour_de
    650B has arrived!

  3. #155
    Spiritual Vessel
    MORC Member
    soupboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    St. Louis Park, MN
    Posts
    5,386
    Tru dat...

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Swenson View Post
    I think corporations sponsor teams because someone in the C level of the company likes bike racing. The executive then justifies it as marketing.
    Submit your grievances here.

  4. #154
    Bike Master
    Paul Swenson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    2,281

    I'm so proud

    My 2 year old daughter came home from school today pointed at the TV and said "bike". She started to get hysterical until my wife put on a TDF tape.

    I'm so proud.

  5. #153
    Bike Master
    Paul Swenson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    2,281

    The race to the bottom

    It's not over. there's whispers that Polka Dot Soler returned a positive.

  6. #152
    Relentless Rider
    syntaxjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Moneyopolis
    Posts
    1,591
    Quote Originally Posted by SPR View Post
    I've never understood advertising and marketing. As you say do people buy a product just because so and so is wearing a jersey with so and so's name. This just seems so shallow.
    Advertising and marketing continue to exist and thrive solely because human beings make decisions based on non-rational (occasionally irrational) criteria.

    And it's a darn good thing they do, because otherwise I'd have to find something useful to do with my life.

  7. #151
    Dirt Spanker
    MORC Member Snowride Club

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    860
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Swenson View Post
    I do it because it helps companies justify the millions they spend on a sport I enjoy. For instance when getting a cell phone there wasn't in my estimation a lot of difference between Verizon and T-mobile. I chose T-Mobile because they support racing.
    I think wearing team kits is weird and I think grown men seaking autographs is even weirder but if company is willing to pony up to support what I like I'll at least listen.
    FYI Saab was born from jets.
    Quote Originally Posted by SPR
    I've never understood advertising and marketing. As you say do people buy a product just because so and so is wearing a jersey with so and so's name. This just seems so shallow.
    Okay I'm guilty and will swallow my words... I bought a TAG Heuer watch many moons ago when they sponsored the 7-11 boys.

  8. #150
    Bike Master
    Paul Swenson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    2,281
    Quote Originally Posted by SPR View Post
    I've never understood advertising and marketing. As you say do people buy a product just because so and so is wearing a jersey with so and so's name. This just seems so shallow.

    Right on
    I do it because it helps companies justify the millions they spend on a sport I enjoy. For instance when getting a cell phone there wasn't in my estimation a lot of difference between Verizon and T-mobile. I chose T-Mobile because they support racing.

    I think wearing team kits is weird and I think grown men seaking autographs is even weirder but if company is willing to pony up to support what I like I'll at least listen.


    FYI Saab was born from jets.

  9. #149
    Bike Master
    Paul Swenson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    2,281
    Quote Originally Posted by soupboy View Post
    ... I dunno, WTF is Astana or Rabobank...do people watch Rasmussen and go open checking accounts? Prolly a Euro-thang.
    .
    Robobank almost bought locally based Agrabank a couple years ago. Astana is a conglomerate of Kazakh companies that joined forces expressly to support Vino.

    I chose to go with T-Mobile because they sponsered a team and I'll pick up a bottle of Gerolsteiner evey now and then. Sort of like rednecks buying Bud because of Dale JR.

    I think corporations sponsor teams because someone in the C level of the company likes bike racing. The executive then justifies it as marketing.

  10. #148
    Dirt Spanker
    MORC Member Snowride Club

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    860
    Quote Originally Posted by soupboy View Post
    ... The only team sponsor I recognize anyway is Discovery Channel... I dunno, WTF is Astana or Rabobank...do people watch Rasmussen and go open checking accounts? Prolly a Euro-thang.
    ...
    I've never understood advertising and marketing. As you say do people buy a product just because so and so is wearing a jersey with so and so's name. This just seems so shallow.

    Quote Originally Posted by soupboy View Post
    ...
    In light of baseball's doping I certainly don't think it's fair that many folks further dismiss cycling when our "national pastime" is one of the most polluted ever.
    ...
    Right on

  11. #147
    Spiritual Vessel
    MORC Member
    soupboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    St. Louis Park, MN
    Posts
    5,386
    EDIT:

    John Stewart just accused Rasmussen of "...smuggling plums..." and "...taunting Lance Armstrong...and 94% of America..."

    I take it all back....
    Submit your grievances here.

  12. #146
    Spiritual Vessel
    MORC Member
    soupboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    St. Louis Park, MN
    Posts
    5,386
    Yeah, it's totally tweaked. Read David Millar's comments that regionally, the French expect that everyone is doping anyway so it's not such a big deal. The only team sponsor I recognize anyway is Discovery Channel... I dunno, WTF is Astana or Rabobank...do people watch Rasmussen and go open checking accounts? Prolly a Euro-thang.

    In light of baseball's doping I certainly don't think it's fair that many folks further dismiss cycling when our "national pastime" is one of the most polluted ever.

    Sometimes I find myself thinking, WTF, why not let them drug it up all they want, but declare it as a separate class...THE DOPED...and test vigorously and punitively. If you want to ride fast, tainted, great...just tell us. If they take years off your life that's your problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by SPR View Post
    I believe these corporate sponsors are behind some of the doping. They're getting big money for the TV exposure they get when their sponored rider is at the front of the peleton or breakaway. And I also believe when their doped rider is caught they turn away and disavow any involvement.
    Heard that Astana is being sued by another team sponsor for grabbing all the TV exposure for their breakaway effort the other day.
    Submit your grievances here.

  13. #145
    Dirt Spanker
    MORC Member Snowride Club

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    860
    Quote Originally Posted by soupboy View Post
    I suggest they convert the balance of the TdF to half cycling , half UFC. The scrawny, doped-up climbers and testosterone-infused sprinters should be parceled off to fight head to head for this special event leaving the balance of (maybe) clean "average" riders to finish things out an start anew in 08.

    To me this is pathetic and sad but shouldn't take anything away from the winner. Just because cheaters got caught shouldn't lessen the prestige of the ultimate winner.

    As soon as they make it more painful for the corporate sponsors to have "dirty" teams you'll start seeing better compliance. I have no clue as to governing bodies but I think that if a team is found to have a dirty rider that all the corporations that have their names on the kits of that particular team should be banned from advertising in any/all cycling events for a period of time. Fining managers and other team staff should also have an effect. While the riders should be held most accountable, they are clearly not capable of self-restraint.
    I believe these corporate sponsors are behind some of the doping. They're getting big money for the TV exposure they get when their sponored rider is at the front of the peleton or breakaway. And I also believe when their doped rider is caught they turn away and disavow any involvement.
    Heard that Astana is being sued by another team sponsor for grabbing all the TV exposure for their breakaway effort the other day.

  14. #144
    Dirt Spanker
    MORC Member Snowride Club

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    860
    I can't get down about the tour and all that's evolved the last few days. There is still some good racing going on and with all the cheats being ousted the action is getting closer. The TT on Saturday is going to be one of the best stages.
    Interesting comment on why Disco wouldn't wear the Yellow Jersey today because it looked like they supported Rasmussen...

  15. #143
    Spiritual Vessel
    MORC Member
    soupboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    St. Louis Park, MN
    Posts
    5,386
    I suggest they convert the balance of the TdF to half cycling , half UFC. The scrawny, doped-up climbers and testosterone-infused sprinters should be parceled off to fight head to head for this special event leaving the balance of (maybe) clean "average" riders to finish things out an start anew in 08.

    To me this is pathetic and sad but shouldn't take anything away from the winner. Just because cheaters got caught shouldn't lessen the prestige of the ultimate winner.

    As soon as they make it more painful for the corporate sponsors to have "dirty" teams you'll start seeing better compliance. I have no clue as to governing bodies but I think that if a team is found to have a dirty rider that all the corporations that have their names on the kits of that particular team should be banned from advertising in any/all cycling events for a period of time. Fining managers and other team staff should also have an effect. While the riders should be held most accountable, they are clearly not capable of self-restraint.
    Submit your grievances here.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-30-2006, 01:40 PM
  2. 2006 Tour of California
    By ppgc in forum Road Riding
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-22-2006, 06:49 PM

Social Bookmarks

Social Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts