+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Decision time - the Tour starts tomorrow...

Big Air
    MORC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Non-Doping Cyclists Finish Tour De France

http://www.theonion.com/content/news...finish_tour_de
    I thought about posting that as well. Way to go clean cyclists!
    Keep your Uptown outta my Nordeast! -Grumpy Mechanic Society quote

Forum Master
    MORC Member Gnome Club Snowride Club
    Non-Doping Cyclists Finish Tour De France

http://www.theonion.com/content/news...finish_tour_de
    650B has arrived!

Spiritual Vessel
    MORC Member
    Tru dat...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Swenson View Post
    I think corporations sponsor teams because someone in the C level of the company likes bike racing. The executive then justifies it as marketing.
    Submit your grievances here.

Bike Master

I'm so proud

My 2 year old daughter came home from school today pointed at the TV and said "bike". She started to get hysterical until my wife put on a TDF tape.

I'm so proud.

Bike Master

The race to the bottom

It's not over. there's whispers that Polka Dot Soler returned a positive.

Relentless Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by SPR View Post
    I've never understood advertising and marketing. As you say do people buy a product just because so and so is wearing a jersey with so and so's name. This just seems so shallow.
    Advertising and marketing continue to exist and thrive solely because human beings make decisions based on non-rational (occasionally irrational) criteria.

And it's a darn good thing they do, because otherwise I'd have to find something useful to do with my life.

Dirt Spanker
    MORC Member Snowride Club

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Swenson View Post
    I do it because it helps companies justify the millions they spend on a sport I enjoy. For instance when getting a cell phone there wasn't in my estimation a lot of difference between Verizon and T-mobile. I chose T-Mobile because they support racing.
    I think wearing team kits is weird and I think grown men seaking autographs is even weirder but if company is willing to pony up to support what I like I'll at least listen.
    FYI Saab was born from jets.
    Quote Originally Posted by SPR
    I've never understood advertising and marketing. As you say do people buy a product just because so and so is wearing a jersey with so and so's name. This just seems so shallow.
    Okay I'm guilty and will swallow my words... I bought a TAG Heuer watch many moons ago when they sponsored the 7-11 boys.

Bike Master

Right on
    I do it because it helps companies justify the millions they spend on a sport I enjoy. For instance when getting a cell phone there wasn't in my estimation a lot of difference between Verizon and T-mobile. I chose T-Mobile because they support racing.

I think wearing team kits is weird and I think grown men seaking autographs is even weirder but if company is willing to pony up to support what I like I'll at least listen.

FYI Saab was born from jets.

Bike Master
    Quote Originally Posted by soupboy View Post
    ... I dunno, WTF is Astana or Rabobank...do people watch Rasmussen and go open checking accounts? Prolly a Euro-thang.
    Robobank almost bought locally based Agrabank a couple years ago. Astana is a conglomerate of Kazakh companies that joined forces expressly to support Vino.

I chose to go with T-Mobile because they sponsered a team and I'll pick up a bottle of Gerolsteiner evey now and then. Sort of like rednecks buying Bud because of Dale JR.

I think corporations sponsor teams because someone in the C level of the company likes bike racing. The executive then justifies it as marketing.

Dirt Spanker

... The only team sponsor I recognize anyway is Discovery Channel... I dunno, WTF is Astana or Rabobank...do people watch Rasmussen and go open checking accounts? Prolly a Euro-thang.

In light of baseball's doping I certainly don't think it's fair that many folks further dismiss cycling when our "national pastime" is one of the most polluted ever.
    Right on

Spiritual Vessel
    MORC Member
    EDIT:

John Stewart just accused Rasmussen of "...smuggling plums..." and "...taunting Lance Armstrong...and 94% of America..."

I take it all back....

Spiritual Vessel
    MORC Member
    Yeah, it's totally tweaked. Read David Millar's comments that regionally, the French expect that everyone is doping anyway so it's not such a big deal. The only team sponsor I recognize anyway is Discovery Channel... I dunno, WTF is Astana or Rabobank...do people watch Rasmussen and go open checking accounts? Prolly a Euro-thang.

In light of baseball's doping I certainly don't think it's fair that many folks further dismiss cycling when our "national pastime" is one of the most polluted ever.

Sometimes I find myself thinking, WTF, why not let them drug it up all they want, but declare it as a separate class...THE DOPED...and test vigorously and punitively. If you want to ride fast, tainted, great...just tell us. If they take years off your life that's your problem.

I believe these corporate sponsors are behind some of the doping. They're getting big money for the TV exposure they get when their sponored rider is at the front of the peleton or breakaway. And I also believe when their doped rider is caught they turn away and disavow any involvement.
    Heard that Astana is being sued by another team sponsor for grabbing all the TV exposure for their breakaway effort the other day.

Dirt Spanker

I suggest they convert the balance of the TdF to half cycling , half UFC. The scrawny, doped-up climbers and testosterone-infused sprinters should be parceled off to fight head to head for this special event leaving the balance of (maybe) clean "average" riders to finish things out an start anew in 08.

To me this is pathetic and sad but shouldn't take anything away from the winner. Just because cheaters got caught shouldn't lessen the prestige of the ultimate winner.

As soon as they make it more painful for the corporate sponsors to have "dirty" teams you'll start seeing better compliance. I have no clue as to governing bodies but I think that if a team is found to have a dirty rider that all the corporations that have their names on the kits of that particular team should be banned from advertising in any/all cycling events for a period of time. Fining managers and other team staff should also have an effect. While the riders should be held most accountable, they are clearly not capable of self-restraint.
    I believe these corporate sponsors are behind some of the doping. They're getting big money for the TV exposure they get when their sponored rider is at the front of the peleton or breakaway. And I also believe when their doped rider is caught they turn away and disavow any involvement.
    Heard that Astana is being sued by another team sponsor for grabbing all the TV exposure for their breakaway effort the other day.

Dirt Spanker

I can't get down about the tour and all that's evolved the last few days. There is still some good racing going on and with all the cheats being ousted the action is getting closer. The TT on Saturday is going to be one of the best stages.
    Interesting comment on why Disco wouldn't wear the Yellow Jersey today because it looked like they supported Rasmussen...

Spiritual Vessel
    MORC Member
    I suggest they convert the balance of the TdF to half cycling , half UFC. The scrawny, doped-up climbers and testosterone-infused sprinters should be parceled off to fight head to head for this special event leaving the balance of (maybe) clean "average" riders to finish things out an start anew in 08.

To me this is pathetic and sad but shouldn't take anything away from the winner. Just because cheaters got caught shouldn't lessen the prestige of the ultimate winner.

As soon as they make it more painful for the corporate sponsors to have "dirty" teams you'll start seeing better compliance. I have no clue as to governing bodies but I think that if a team is found to have a dirty rider that all the corporations that have their names on the kits of that particular team should be banned from advertising in any/all cycling events for a period of time. Fining managers and other team staff should also have an effect. While the riders should be held most accountable, they are clearly not capable of self-restraint.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information