+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 1/4'' steer tube Judy X/C fork

eberle

Judy SL

Chris,

By any chance still have the 1 1/4" Judy? I may be able to use it on one of my older bikes. Thanks! Please e-mail me.

Scott Eberle
    Richmond, VA

Forum Master
    Chris,

I sent you an email. I can measure the steer tube length tonight to make sure it would be long enough for your frame. It was in a 16'' GF frame but with lots of spacers, so it should fit into a larger frame just fine. Of course, if nothing else you should be able to gut the stanchions on your Judy SL and rebuild my XC with 'em if the steer tube length doesn't work for ya.

Dirt Spanker
    Quote Originally Posted by chris b
    If you still want to sell that Judy, I've got a problem that you might help me solve. I have a 1996 Gary Fisher Paragon that currently has a Judy SL on it. I quit riding for a few years shortly after I blew the oil cartridge in my SL, but just took my bike in for an overhaul so I can get back in to it. My problem is that I can't find an oil cartridge for such an old fork, and none of the new forks come with 1 1/4" steer tubes. So I punched in "shock fork 1 1/4" steer tube" on Google, and it brought me here. I'll have to check on the length of mine. If the length of yours will work, I'd be very interested in buying your fork. I've got the original Quadra 21R it came with, but I'd rather have a Judy. Please e-mail me at chris@ylmemphis.com and let's talk.

Chris Baker
    Memphis, TN
    I checked out Chris' fork and it wouldn't work for my '95 Mt. Tam, but it appears to be in very good condition if that helps.

chris b

I would be interested

If you still want to sell that Judy, I've got a problem that you might help me solve. I have a 1996 Gary Fisher Paragon that currently has a Judy SL on it. I quit riding for a few years shortly after I blew the oil cartridge in my SL, but just took my bike in for an overhaul so I can get back in to it. My problem is that I can't find an oil cartridge for such an old fork, and none of the new forks come with 1 1/4" steer tubes. So I punched in "shock fork 1 1/4" steer tube" on Google, and it brought me here. I'll have to check on the length of mine. If the length of yours will work, I'd be very interested in buying your fork. I've got the original Quadra 21R it came with, but I'd rather have a Judy. Please e-mail me at chris@ylmemphis.com and let's talk.

Chris Baker
    Memphis, TN

Forum Master
    Yeah, this plan would never work. I measured the diameter of the Judy vs Mag21 stanchions and the Mag21 was 1cm smaller around than the Judy. Not only that, but the crown itself for the Judy is wider than the Mag21. So, the stancions would be too wide in two different ways for the old Mag21 crown.

Shad -

Taking the stancions out off the sliders is easy: unscrew the bolts on the bottom of the sliders, tap them a bit to loosen the stanchions and pull it apart. So, maybe a solution would be to find a junked Judy from which I could salvage the stanchions/crown/steertube part.

Trail Rider
    MORC Member
    Now that I've traveled back along the posts, I realize Sean was looking for a 1" steerer tube fork... One word: e-bay

Trail Rider
    MORC Member
    I would bet that the Mag 21 sliders are a smaller diameter than that of the Judy- so unless you are willing to bore out your Mag 21 fork crown, they won't fit. Plus, the clamping forces will be different- I think the Judy one piece crowns are press/heat shunk on to the fork sliders, not bonded. So the sliders are probably designed for a relatively uniform clamping pressure about their circumference, which you don't really get with the Mag 21 style bolt on crown.

So:
    1) they won't fit unless you drill 'em out
    2) it'll lower your ride height substantially and make your steering very twitchy and possibly cause the wheel to bottom against your fork crown sending you flying over the bars
    3) it won't be as strong, and probably fail at the crown/slider intersection.

I have another idea. Just buy my old Manitou SX-Ti:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

Babbling Biker
    MORC Member Snowride Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevize1138
    Hmm ...

What do people think of this potential plan:

I have an old Mag 21 fork with a 1 1/8'' steer tube with the classic bolt-on crown. Is it possible to simply cut the crown off the stanchions of my 1 1/4'' fork and then bolt the Mag 21 crown on instead? Anyone care to field this one?
    Sounds a bit sketchy to me. But if you took a grinder, and very carefully cut through the crown, being carefull to not hit your stancions it might work. Again, pending that they are the same size diameter. As I recall wasn't there a little lip in the bolt on fork crown, that the stancions sort of clicked into? I don't remember. Another thing is I'll bet Rock Shox' bonded the crap out of that, so even if you carefully cut through the fork crown, it will still be glued all the way around it. Seems like a lot of trouble for a fork with less than two inches of travel.

At any rate, good luck with that.
    when do we ride?

Quote Originally Posted by Trevize1138
    Hmm ...

I have an old Mag 21 fork with a 1 1/8'' steer tube with the classic bolt-on crown. Is it possible to simply cut the crown off the stanchions of my 1 1/4'' fork and then bolt the Mag 21 crown on instead? Anyone care to field this one?
    This will lower the ride height of the front end. Plus....I thought you Mag 21 inch fork was a 1" threaded fork. It it actually a 1 1/8 threadless fork? Can you not separate the crown and stanchions from the lowers? I have never done it, so I don't know if you can do that.

Bike Master
    It could be done. If the stanchions are the same diameter. Also the fork that does not have the bolt on crown has pressed stanchions, which might not mount up true in the newly transplanted crown. It should also be noted that the stanchions should be close to the same thickness in metal for this operation to work. I'd be willing to try it if it were my old Mag and other fork. Let us know how the out come goes.

Forum Master
    Hmm ...

Trail Rider
    RST makes one that is real cheap!!! $84.95 right now at Nashbar. I am thinking about picking one up!!!

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...reid=&pagename=

Forum Master
    Shad:

We may have to hook up and try this. I've taken apart a fork before and we just might be able to put my sliders onto your stanchions with the 1 1/8'' steer tube or summin' to get your steer tube with my travel. That'd be sweet .

I have a '98 Judy XC with a 1 1/8" steerer that is just over 6" in length (same fork Chris has but his is probably in better condition). If someone know how to make the exchange.....if you can do such a thing since the crown doesn't clamp the stanchions anymore......you can make us both an offer and get both forks.

Babbling Biker
    MORC Member Snowride Club
    Yeah, Gary Fisher, Cannondale and a few other used to use the inch and a quarter steerer tubes back in the early 90s. They never went over as well as they all thought they would.

As for a cheap one inch fork. I stopped in at Bikemasters a few weeks back and they had some sort of an RST or something like that with a one inch steerer.

Good luck
    when do we ride?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information