+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What's the 411?

Dirt Boss - Lebanon Hills
    MORC Member Dirt Boss Snowride Club
    No problem. Glad you got it straightened out.

Hopefully see you at the Cuyuna Grand Opening.
    Leb borgata capodecina

Stump Jumper
    Thanks Bob.
    Sorry about the misunderstanding, but I was using the anagram of my real name in that initial post. Just got that fixed. My real name is Brent Vacinek.

Dirt Boss - Lebanon Hills
    MORC Member Dirt Boss Snowride Club
    Welcome to MORC, Vincent.

You are replying to a 2004 thread, but thanks for the update anyway. I'd sure like to get up there again. Last time I rode the trails north of Grand Marais. Not particularly well-kept or groomed, but it was nice having the entire area to myself and not seeing another person all afternoon.
    Leb borgata capodecina

Stump Jumper

Rode this loop in April 2010

We rode this loop last spring. It is fun if you like remote double track forest roads. The brush is really getting thick on some sections of FS 1235, but it is passable. We found some little red and white mountain bike signs to let us know we were on the right trail. FS 339 is fun fast rocky and remote. FS 338 is the same except for some sandy stuff near Sawbill trail. This is a remote trail system. Bring a buddy and survival gear. You might not see another person for days.

Backcountry Patrol Director
    MORC Member Dirt Boss Bike Patrol

I am! I am!

An expert on North Shore Riding, and all things outstate, that is. (An "ex" is a has-been, and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure. )

Anyhow, Gooseberry, Split Rock and Cascade State Parks have legal MTB trails. When you get to Tofte, go to Sawtooth Outfitters, near the Holiday station. Ask for Jeff Lynch. Jeff is the main guy building the trail system up there. He will have maps. Buy them. Pancore is on there, as is Timber-Frear. (Two trails the Backcountry Patrol did the marking on.) He may have new info on the 25 mile singletrack they have been building at Picnic Loop. I haven't been up there yet this year. (September, right after the Fat Tire Festival, to celebrate my 50th birthday.) In any event, you are going to have to drive at least a bit from the park, but Jeff can help you with that.

If you get up to Grand Marais, contact Mark Spinler at Superior-North Outfitters. It's a little bike shop in the alley behind Sven and Ole's. Mark is reputed to know every inch of ridable trail in the eastern Arrowhead.

Then there is always Lutsen, which is fun if you have never done it before.

Ride safe,

Hans
    "My country is not a country, it is the winter."

Big Air

I'm not an expert on the North Shore riding, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express...

Tofte has one of the larger concentrations of documented trails. Nothing is very technical though. Pancore lake would be a good bet, and there are other loops of mostly fire road and double track right in the area. You could improvise too, such as just riding up to Carlton Peak, which is just south of Tofte. You can scramble to the top of Carlton Peak too for some great views all around.

Lutsen is pretty close too. You have to pay, but it's definitely worth it for the more technical terrain.

You could go further up to the Grand Marais area. Similar to Tofte, there are various loops just outside of town, which are mostly fire road and double-track with nothing too technical. There is a bike shop in town that can give you all the necessary guidance.

I believe that there is also legal riding at Split Rock State Park and Cascade, but I'm not completely sure.

The irony of the north shore is that it is almost "too wild". There isn't a whole lot of well established singletrack trails. Sometimes you have to do a little orienteering and improvising (like the time I encountered a huge beaver dam in the middle of a trail by Grand Marais). But, I suppose you could consider that a good thing depending on what you're looking for.

The north shore has even more to offer for hikers, climbers, and kayakers. You are very close to the best rock climbing in the entire Midwest, with Silver Bay as kind of the epicenter. The hiking is tremendous too, especially at Tetegouche, Cascade, and Judge C. Magney State Parks. Temperence River is cool too - I have fond memories of spending days climbing at Carlton Peak and then cooling off at a great swimming hole on the Temperence river only a mile or two up from the Lake. Enjoy.

Chainring Keeper

the 411? You say tofte and all I can think about is ice climbing! Great! Thanks a lot. November is far off and now I have that stuck in my head!

Sage

Question What's the 411?

Hello folks!

My girlfriend and I are going to be in the Tofte area week after next and I'm wondering what we should try and ride. We will be camping at Temperence River State Park and our riding day would be Thursday. It sounds like riding Pancore Lake would be ideal as far as location, but I'm just looking for suggestions on other possible rides or maybe some inside info as to what some of you would recommend. I've ridden Pincushion alot and she never has, but we were thinking it would be nice to ride straight from the park and not have to drive anywhere. Of course if there is something really stellar in the area we would happily drive to it, but I guess I don't consider Pincushion stellar. Any info or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks, Dan

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information